Back to Kathmandu...

Kathmandu Travel Blog

We had breakfast with the group, gave them our large luggage (so we would not have to check it), and saw them off for their long bus ride to Lumbini. We sat down in the courtyard and caught up on internet stuff and then took our taxi (really just the open bus that the hotel owns) to the small, regional airport.

Upon check-in, the airline said we had the wrong rate...we could not use the tickets that Vijay had bought for us because those were only for locals (Nepalese and Indians). We had to cancel those tickets and buy new ones for twice the price. Ugh. We got the info for Vijay so he could make sure he gets the refund. The airport was so small and non-tech that it looked like an old bus station. The 4 flights on our airline, Yeti Air, were written on a white board.

The flight to Kathmandu was 20 minutes (way better than the 7 hours of unpaved road it took to get to Chitwan!!), and although we were on the wrong side of the plane, the view of the Himalayas on the left side was fantastic. We were going over smaller mountains as well, and they just seemed so close to the plane!

Back in Kathmandu, we took the 40 minute drive back to Hotel Moonlight...they put us in a different wing of the hotel on the 3rd floor with no lift on that side...and our room key didn’t work. Twice we went down and back up, but it still didn’t work so I made the desk guy come up with us cuz I didn’t want to have to climb 3 flights again for nothing. Also, if you didn’t close the door properly, it would sound a light alarm. Very annoying!

We went down the market streets and found a nice place to eat late lunch - they had fantastic naan - and I bought a couple of souvenirs - a scarf and a small Buddha for my aunt who collects them. We went back to the hotel and then went downstairs to the restaurant/lounge for drinks and WWE wrestling was on the TV - Morgan is a big fan - so we sat and watched for awhile, and then I got hungry again, so we ordered and shared a mushroom choila with chapatti bread (made with perhaps lentil flour? - more like a tortilla). It was delicious.
photo by: sharonburgher