Full Moon Bonfire, Allentown, TEXAS USA

Allentown Travel Blog

walters moon

On January 31, 2018 we (and most of the world) had a lunar "trifecta"; with a "blue Moon" (second full moon of the month), a "giant moon" (moon at closest orbatal location to Earth), and a full Lunar eclipse in the pre-sunrise.

I started two pics from the large moon at Walters Tree Farm on January 30 PM. I was outside for the AM lunar eclipse on January 31, but the moon disappeared into the trees and Earth without a view before sunrise.

I was invited to view the January 31 PM moonrise at my farmer friends ranch-homestead in Angelina County, Texas. There were four generations of their family there...and me.

They had a medium Catalpa tree, dead and down, to deal with before the bonfire so I needed to get there early with my medium sized professional Stihl chain saw for some easy work.

walters moon
(I must somehow get some of this good wood for myself.)

Caltapa bignonoiodes is like James Dean: "Live fast and die young". All young boys here know that the beatle grubbs living in the wood makes the best bait for fishing. Birds love to eat the grubbs also. As we worked, their whole flock of free-range chickens were around the wood pile feasting on the grubbs. The brown heart wood is used by wood-workers to make fine collectable carvings to sell at some farmers markets. The burning Catalpa has a very nice smell. (The next day I proved that the wood makes very good cooking wood with my small wood cooker-steamer. My full sized Texas cooker-steamer needs some repairs before used again.)

So I departed Southbound on US Hwy 59. Driving over the Angelina River I passes from Nacogdoches County into Angelina County.

full moon
I turned West on the first paved road (a substandard county road) and Blue handled well the bumps and road curves. Close to the rance-homestead there were two different dirt county roads, both with signs to get to Allentown. Well, after WW2 Allentown was abandoned with most of their structors rotted away. I followed the first limestone driveway after the Allentown signs and arrived at their ranch-homestead.

A friendly meetup with country folks in my neck of the woods usually includes a "pot-luck" dinner; so I brought some of my "world famous" tater salid. We had a good munch then it was time to do the pre-bonfire work. My Stihl made short work on the Catalpa tree slicing it to twenty inch bolts. Much of my cutting I put saw on the tree, and one-handed my Still floated through the Caltapa.

full moon
(TBs, please do not try that one-handed cutting at home.)

The menfolk started the bonfire around dusk, and the womenfolk joinded us for a very good time. We had food, drink, and good fellowship. The full moon was the center of attraction and I shot with Mr Nikon while they shot with cell phones. As our fun continued, they would throw bolts of Catalpa into the back of Old Blue for me to take home. I think I wound up with well over 1000 pounds of Catalpa in Blue.

After hours of darkness fun I noticed that some family members were getting sleepy. Then Blue got me back home again.

completed

are you serious ... hahaha, all grown up than! :D
Posted on: Feb 15, 2018
walterman9999 says:
Good fun Ils.
Baby in pic # 16 is about 24 hours old.
Posted on: Feb 14, 2018
bonfire
bonfire
friends, backlighted by fire
friends, backlighted by fire
friends, shot with flash, Catalpa …
friends, shot with flash, Catalpa…
chickin & bracs