Day 7: Overview

Del Rio Travel Blog

Veterans Memorial - Hondo

Day 7 started out cold and cloudy with a strong chill in the wind and a light misty rain falling.  The rain and the wind picked up slightly as I loaded my stuff back into the Charger.  My plan for the day was to head east along U. S. Highway 90, stopping at several of the small towns along that route that I had visited before but felt were worth a revisit.  I hoped to find a decent hotel in San Antonio that I had not stayed in before.  Maybe somewhere around the intersection of Interstate 410 and Interstate 37 setting myself up to miss the morning traffic in San Anton as I headed south toward Corpus Christi.  The first town I encountered as I drove east on U.

Steinbach Haus - Castroville
S. Highway 90 was the small town of Brackettville.  There is actually more here than you might expect.  They have a very nice county courthouse and Fort Clark is well worth a visit.  I took a quick look at the courthouse again, what can I say I love domes on government buildings, but the wind and rain deterred me from stopping for photographs.  The next town as I drove east along U. S. Highway 90 was the interesting and a fair amount more populace town of Uvalde.  Uvalde has a number of interesting things to see and do also; and I would have probably looked around a bit more if I had not explored the town pretty well a few years before and had the weather been more conducive to walking around.
Cowboy Statue - Pleasanton
  By the time I got to Hondo, the rain was intermittent but the cold breeze was still a constant.  After Uvalde, I came to the town of Hondo.  Hondo is, like the other towns along U. S. Highway 90, an interesting town, with a neat county courthouse and a few buildings of historical and/or architectural interest.  I like the veterans’ memorial too.  Since I parked by the park with the memorial in it, I snapped a quick photo while the sun was out briefly.  Emboldened by the sunshine, I decided to walk the couple of blocks to the historic section downtown.  Of course since I did that the rain returned.  My next stop was the town of Castroville, probably my favorite town to wander around on U. S. Highway 90 between Del Rio and San Antonio.  By the time I got to Castroville, the rain had stopped and the gray skies had given way to amixture of bright blue sky intermingled with some nice white clouds.  The cold wind, however, had picked up even more and it was getting late if I was going to make it to San Antonio with plenty of time to search out a hotel so I opted for nothing more than a quick stop at the Steinbach Haus which serves as the welcome center.  I took the picture shown here, very carefully as there was a special event on the grounds with Santa Claus and a lot of local kids and I wanted to avoid having any of them in the photo.  I continued east along U. S. Highway 90 until I reached Interstate 410, a loop that avoids downtown San Antonio.  I did not spot any hotels that tempted me and I really wanted to get on the other side of the city so I could avoid the Monday morning traffic the next morning.  I kept my fingers crossed that I would spot an appropriate hotel along Interstate 410 but was none before I got off onto Interstate 37 heading south.  I thought there would be a few options along the way but spotted nothing until I approached the town of Pleasanton.  The sign mentioned a place called the "Kuntry Korner".  The name sounded nice and I had not spent the night in Pleasanton before so that would be another addition to the list of places I have slept.  The motel was on the opposite side of the interstate from the main part of town.  The Kuntry Korner was not as nice as it sounded; but still it was a nice day.

Del Rio