Day 3: Overview

Alamogordo Travel Blog

Orogrande, New Mexico

Day 3 started out a chilly 41 degrees, and cloudy with a light rain.  As I drove south along U. S. Highway 54, the temperature dropped to 39 and the rain picked up.  I stopped at the welcome center in Alamogordo, picked up a New Mexico Road Map, and had a very nice conversation with the lady working there.  I stopped briefly in the tiny town of Orogrande but really there is not much of interest between Alamogordo and El Paso.  Maybe a quick photo in Orogrande.  The terrain is rather pretty but the low lying clouds hid much of the beauty or at least degraded it.  I stopped briefly in El Paso but I did not look around much because of the weather and the fact that El Paso is not that far from home so I can return here easily enough to look around and visit the attractions.  I also wanted to get farther down the road before stopping for the night.  I thought about driving all the way to Fort Stockton; but by the time I got to Van Horn the rain was constant and heavy and the temperature was not getting better.  Anticipating the possibility of snow and knowing my Dodge Charger does not drive well in the snow I stopped for the night.

photo by: kingelvis14