Day 2: Overview

Lordsburg Travel Blog

Organ, New Mexico

Day 2 started out cloudy and windy and according to the temperature readout on my car was 51 degrees.  Colder than usual for this part of New Mexico at this time of year and about 20 degrees colder than yesterday.  After a quick stop for gas, I entered Interstate 10 headed west to backtrack to the New Mexico Welcome Center located at Exit 20 so I could get a few brochures and one of the coupon books for hotels.  These coupon books are losing importance since so much of everything is going to the internet; but they are still worth picking up at the welcome centers.  The coupons can save you good money on motel rooms.  After leaving Lordsburg, I resumed my easterly movement driving to Deming.  I stopped for a short time in Deming to stretch my legs and look around again.

White Sands National Monument
  Continuing east I exited Interstate 10 at Exit 135 U. S. Highway 70 east.  I like taking U. S. 70 through town as it is much more interesting than the interstate.  I wanted to stop for a quick photo at the Big Chile Inn, home of the largest Chile pepper in the world; but the parking lot was packed and there was a fairly large truck parked in the way of the Chile pepper.  I decided that maybe I would try to stay there on my way home t the end of this trip.  This route also takes you down part of Main Street, where many of the museums and other points of interest in Las Cruces are located.  I stopped briefly in the tiny town of Organ, just east of Las Cruces, which I had found out was the location of a building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Further along U. S. Highway 70 is the very interesting White Sands National Monument which is the largest collection of white gypsum sand dunes in the world.  The temperature had stayed pretty much the same so I did not do that much hiking or anything.  I had already hiked all the trails in White Sands National Monument at least once anyway.  Just before entering Alamogordo, I saw a sign for the Suburban Suites that stated it was the newest hotel in town; and decided to check it out.  That would give me another place of accomodations to write up for Travel Buddy.  By the time I got to Alamogordo, I was fairly hungry so I decided to stop for a quick bite at an Applebees.

Lordsburg