A Bungalow without fence

Mapungubwe National Park Travel Blog

the land

We really sleep well at night time without any dream, and I don’t even get up once (wouw…).

After 11 or 12 hours sleep, both of us feel really fresh and ready to tackle Africa.  Unfortunately the breakfast was closed, since the guesthouse only served breakfast until 8am... which is way too early.

We asked a direction to go to Supermarket since we need to buy water, fruits and snacks. We set up the direction in the GPS and we find the supermarket easily.  We stock as many water bottles for our 2 weeks stay since we will be inside the National Park.

I also bought an African sim card, so we can call the police or Kruger main rest camp if we have any problem during our stay.  We bought breakfast (hot dog and many breads) from the supermarket bakery.

the crocodile relaxing
We eat breakfast in the car and off we go.

Today our destination is “Leokwee Main Rest Camp”.  It was a nice drive and I was quite surprise to find the road was so big with many lanes and the other driver was very good and give way to other faster car, contrary to what I had read from the website.  It was an easy drive for me without any traffic, and we arrive there after 3-4 hours drive.

We showed our reservation at the gate and the reception, and then we have to sign a form which basically “give our life away”, since the park would not responsible if something happen to us.

From the main gate, it takes 45 minutes drive to reach the bungalow, so we have a little safari until we arrive at our bungalow.

impala
  We did not see anything on the way to the bungalow.  When we see the bungalow, it was really beautiful, build with the cliff as a background. And to make life more exciting, the bungalow does not have any fence on it.  So all the wild animals roaming freely and can come to the bungalow.  I actually quite scared when I see the bungalow.  Don’t get it wrong.  I love the bungalow… it was very beautiful and really large around 100sqm.  It made from the red brick and plenty of glass windows, so guests can see the wild animals without the need to step outside. I was worry the leopard or elephant will sit waiting at the balcony.

Before I go out from the car, I look around to make sure no leopard ready to attack me.

female yala
  After that I walk very fast to the front door and open the door and slam it behind me. Phuh……. I am safe inside now.

The inside bungalow was a bit dusty so I clean up the whole place before we put our stuff.  After that we went to the restaurant to book dinner. Strangely, the restaurant only open until 5pm. I guess it make sense since the restaurant is 45 minutes drive away from the bungalow so it would be dangerous to drive at night time with the animals roaming freely.  So we decided to book dinner for 5pm.

After that we went to the small museum next door from the restaurant.  I thought the museum was overprice for what it was. Inside there is a lot of photographs and explanation of the park and the animals but not much exhibition.

giraffes
  We decided it was time to do a real safari.

After a little safari, we have dinner and the restaurant staff who is one man show (he was a server, a cook, and a story teller), told us story about his life, and that the leopard use to stay at the back of the restaurant, yiek….. is he trying to scare me???? I keep looking back to make sure I am safe, since we were seating outside at the balcony.

Finish dinner we drive back and we saw many animals on the way back which was nice.  We stay up awhile and drink wine before go to bed.

Unfortunately I could not sleep here since the air condition has stop working and we cannot reach the receptionist at the main gate. Shame really… since the bungalow was really nice.

Ils1976 says:
that's indeed true Yunni, when there is no fence one can never be sure and has to be very carefull ... an animal always remains an animal, no matter how cute they look like! :D
Posted on: Feb 13, 2018
gingerbatik says:
yes Ils, the bungalow was one of my favourite as there was no fence on it, so the animals can come up and close, but kind of dangerous as you can't walk outside the bungalow, and if the elephant eat the roof, we probably have to run away (with the car of course) :)
Posted on: Feb 11, 2018
Ils1976 says:
what an exciting day, you guys were so lucky the animals could come close, I didn't had that much luck because the animals were always hiding from us! :D
Posted on: Feb 11, 2018
chicken for dinner
chicken for dinner
beef for dinner
beef for dinner
the restaurant and museum  building
the restaurant and museum building
Mapungubwe National Park