The beautiful Colombia

Diegem Travel Blog

Day- 1

With this trip I book a multiple journeys with Iberia Airlines -- our trip starts in Brussels via Madrid and then to Bogota and coming back from Cartagena. Why Iberia? I choose this airline as they have a direct flight to Colombia from Brussels with one change in Madrid.

It maybe not the cheapest airline on this route but I dislike the stopover in different places and certainly not via America as we need an Esta just for layover in any of American airports. With Iberia with only one change in Madrid and fly directly to Colombia.

The ticket was booked 9 months before the actual trip, thus I have plenty of time making the itinerary. Colombia is on my list for quite sometime, but I waited to go when everything is safe. Safe? I wouldn't say Colombia is 100% safe I know we must take some precautions on this trip as we always do.

In my opinion no places in the world are very safe, however, I've done so much research on this trip especially the safety in the country. I came to many websites with different reviews - some people saying you get robbed in daytime and while some people said nothing happen and Colombia is a safe country. I've done a lot of readings about Colombia for quite sometimes and I'm very anxious about this trip. Being one of horrendous country in the past it give me a scary feeling, better to be safe than sorry--- as they always say....but I didn't let my fear win as I already booked the ticket, so I'm very positive on this trip.

I also talk to some people who went recently to Colombia and said, they don't have any problem it is safe everywhere, and at the end I stopped reading blogs about safety and warnings and start preparing the complete itinerary. Surely, there are so much to see in Colombia but we have such a limited time. My wish to take more days off from work, unfortunately that's all I got left this year I've taken most of my days already we have been travelling 10 times this year. So trying to see much within three weeks in Colombia moving on different places everyday.

We will be travelling around with public transportation, renting a car in Colombia is out of our mind. This is an adventure trip crossing by bus and plane around the country. We have two domestic flights booked in this trip, I found the Colombian budget airlines Easyfly and Viva Colombia has reasonable price if booking far in advance. Our flight starts early in the morning in Brussels, we decided to stay the night in a hotel near the airport as I don't like being in a hurry in the morning and we live more than one hour drive from Brussels airport.

There are plenty of hotels near Brussels airport in Zaventem, but for one night I'm looking for the cheapest hotel and I found Ibis Budget in Diegem for less than 50 euro if you are a member of Accor hotel groups. The hotel provides a shuttle service to the airport and vice versa. As we have our flights on Saturday morning we already heading to Brussels on Friday evening. The hotel location is not really in the center, a hassles to get there, as we don't want to bother anyone to drive us there we took the train from home to Brussels North and from train station we took the bus to Ibis Budget Hotel in Diegem.

As we're not coming often in this part of Brussels especially at train station (north) arriving here at night is terrifying, but we must take the bus outside the train station. By my surprise once we walkout the station we haven't expected to see hundreds of refugees inside Brussels North Station - it looks like they're camping inside so scary to see them but we try to walk away fast as we can, and the bus stop outside is only 50 meters away from the refugees, so I didn't feel comfortable waited the bus for a few minutes especially in the evening.

The Lijn bus number 272 with sign board Zaventem Airport came in 6 minutes -- a ticket price of 3.50 euro. The hotel is 30 minutes by bus from Brussels North Train Sation. The bus stop is 30 meters from Ibis hotel. We arrived around 8 pm and there were queues in the counter for checkin - seems there are a lot of people staying that night, but check in goes faster there were two friendly staff behind the counter. We're allocate on the third floor -- the room of Ibis Budget hotel is very small - I know before booking the room, I always read reviews before comfirming -- as we travel each with a small trolley it wasn't a problem for us. So off to Colombia the next day....

Toonsarah says:
Looking forward to reading about your adventures in Columbia - it's on my wish-list for sure
Posted on: Feb 21, 2018
Ils1976 says:
congrats on the feature! I am so going to read this one day! :D
Posted on: Feb 21, 2018
starship1 says:
Congrats on your featured blog!
Posted on: Feb 19, 2018
Diegem Hotels & Accommodations review
Small room
We have our flight to Bogota at 7:30 am and we must be at the airport by 5:30 am. We were doubting of what to do: stay the night close to the airport … read entire review