The Paunsaugunt Plateau, Bryce Canyon City, Utah USA

Bryce Canyon City Travel Blog

Bryce Canyon NP

The eastern edge of the Paunsaugunt Plateau is a beautiful example of large scale erosion commonly called Bryce Canyon National Park.

I start my blog on Utah Hwy 12 just East of Utah Hwy 63 leading into Bryce Canyon N Park. There I pass through a small section of the Northern part of Bryce Canyon N Park on my way up the Paunsaugunt Plateau. Bryce Canyon NP is a very beautiful place attracting people from around the world. Bryce Canyon should be on the "bucket list" for anybody visiting Southern Utah and is one of the four big time National Parks in Utah. Since I visited the Park many times I passed by the Hwy 63 junction in favor of the secluded dirt trails of the Plateau and the open spacers with good dirt roads of the Dixie National Forest.

Just three miles West of the Utah 63 junction is the start of the main road (Southbound) across the Plateau on Forest Service road 087.

Dixie N Forest
About six miles away is my camp on FS 088.

With plenty of daytime remaining I wanted to drive FS 087 on the good isolated road across nice open meadows. Not far away is Tropic Reservoir; a nice place for day use. Then about a mile past the lake is the Tropic Spring. We made a thirty minute stop to drink good water and to re-fill my water supply. (There is an unlocked fence around Tropic Spring to keep the cows out.)  Then we continued Southbound on FS 087.

When we got to FS 092 the road got narrow as we went uphill into a nice forest and into the aspen trees. This was a nice ride to the end of the Road. It was getting cold outside so we returned to camp on FS 088. I had some trail mix and a weak rum drink. Then inside Blue I covered up for sleep.

camp

The Next morning I had my normal coffee break in the chilly air.

We drove back to Utah Hwy 12 Westbound and near the end of the road we passed through two natural arches. At the West end of Utah 12 I made a brief stop at the Red Canyon Village Store.

Now Southbound on US Hwy 89 I purchased a chunk of rose quartz at the Orderville Mine Rock Shop.

Still Southbound we cruised through Kanab Canyon to Kanab, Utah. (Kanab Canyon continues into Arizona and makes a hudge canyon where it combines with the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.)  I wanted to stop at Honey's Market (independant grocer) for a few hard to find food and drinks. Unfortunately it was a Sunday and that small Morman store was closed.

From Kanab it was not far to Arizona, with a big canyon waiting for me.

Tropic Spring
inside store
The Orderville Mine Rock Shop
The Orderville Mine Rock Shop
Kanab Canyon
Kanab, Utah (Honeys Market)
Kanab, Utah (Honeys Market)
petro stations