Grand Staircase-Escalante N Monument, Escalante, Utah USA

Escalante Travel Blog

to Escalante Petrified Forest State Park (one mile)

The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is a large scenic semi-wilderness area with its Northern section by scenic Utah Hwy 12 from Escalante through Tropic, Utah. The one through trail runs South from Cannonville to US Hwy 89 near Big Water Utah. (I drove that very scenic trail, and camped there, decades ago. We passed through small areas where I had to use my four wheel drive, that my older truck had, to pass through the bad trail.) From the Utah Hwy 12, that is all that most people will see of the Grand Staircase, with some nice rock formations looking like a large stairway.

I start at the outskirts of the town of Escalante by the turnoff for Escalante Petrified Forest State Park. The Park has a small entry fee, but I think you can still keep the pertified wood that you find.

All my pics in this blog are of the Grand Staircase including the small towns. The well placed Scenic Overlook at high ground I consider the best view of the Grand Staircase from Utah 12. Not only a scenic area, there are many Pueblo People old settelments with intact structors and artifacts.

Commentary:  The National Park Service is for the permanent protection and access by the people for our special areas of geologic & natural beauty and for historic sites. Now our feds have removed National Park Service protection for about half  of the Grand Staircase. This sounds to me like soon they will start strip mining for large coal deposits under the Grand Staircase.

to Escalante Petrified Forest Stat…
to Escalante Petrified Forest Sta…
Blue with a view