fun with language

Brugge Travel Blog

the tower, rapunzel!
It's been kind of an odd experience to say the least.. I'm probably the only american on the bus.  Anyway, I've latched on to a few aussies (they're everywhere) and we're having some fun.  I must say the language difference is amusing.  For example, wandering around the old town, the girl I'm wandering with says to me "I think I am going to buy a pair of thongs".  Which made me do a double take of sorts.. since well, I've met this girl yesterday and she's going thong shopping?  Ha ha.  Anyway, not so lewd, a thongs are flip-flops.  Later that day, we were talking about what we did (or still do) and she said she was a bookie.  A bookie?  The girl is about 4 foot tall asian woman.  Made me laugh, I mean, it's like hearing that someone is a professional assasain.
ducks, quack!
  Anyway, it means that she's kind of like an accounts manager.  Very funny stuff.

Brugge, belgium is .. well, interesting.  It's kind of a fake midevil town.  I mean, it was once mid-evil and it definitely has the motif, which in itself is cool.  Takes a bit out of knowing that most of it was built or rebuilt in the 19th-20th centuries.  But, good waffles, beer, chocolate.. what else can you ask for?  Well, I guess a place that's claim to fame is great corn or something, since well, these things are not condusive to a budgeter's diet (they're expensive, fatty and oh so good).  But you only live once so partaking the local fare is.. well, requisite.  So, I followed up a fine evening of wine, cheese and bread, with a waffle dashed with chocolate sauce and powdered sugar.
foliage.
  Oh well, it was rather good.  Wandered around a lot, took a few pictures, the ususal.

The evening involved a fair amount of drinking and a lot of people watching.  It's always fascinating watching how the mixing of cultures are when you drink.  The conversations that are struck up.  I mean, who would honestly think that we'd have a conversation about how many states there are in the united states?  I don't seriously think that anyone outside the US should know this bit of trivia but honestly, if you're going to say something like 52, you should yield when someone who lives in the country tells you that you're wrong.  But, all was well, we got to see a terrible band and drink a number of good beligan beers, which I put slightly below the german beer, but it's close.  The band, "the germans".. which elicited a lot of "zee germans" of fans who have seen snatch followed the old saying "if you can't be good, be loud".. but it was a nice little mix.
Funshine says:
Getting friendly with the locals already, huh? ;) I'd venture a guess that most girls would've know she meant shoes but I'd have liked to see the look on your face.

I had someone from another country try to tell me I spoke bad English and I didn't know what I was talking about, etc. I was like... Who's lived here for 20+ years, bud? He didn't get it.

Glad to see you're having a great time!
Posted on: May 07, 2006