Pylos Travel Blog

Pylos is fairly famous in greek history for being the area of two major although completely unrelated events (it would be quite amazing if they were related since they're about 2000 years apart).  At pylos, the athenians for the first time defeated the Spartans who at one point did something that was believed quite impossible, some of the them actually surrendered.  Spartans, who were bred from birth to be military killing machines and whatnot, had a saying, "come back with your shield or on it", i.e. meaning, either you win or you have your relatives find you a nice not so sandy place to put your remains.  Anywho, the second one was that of an allied force of British, French and Russians in 1827 engaging the turkish (and egyptian) fleet and although being vastly outnumbered completely annhiliating them.  This was considered by the greeks to be the turning point in their war against the turks for independence and as such, there are monuments dedicated to the french, british and russians on the rocky islands that are in the harbour outside of pylos.

In the morning, we took a boat out to the monuments and I think I enjoyed the boat ride more than the small little statues (although the russian soldiers errected a russian orthodox church out of wood on the one island) as it was a nice day out.  There is definitely something to be said to be sitting on the back of a boat while the sun is out and shining and all that good stuff.

After that, I went with the older new zealand couple out to Mithoni which has a rather old venitian fort (rather old being something like 1500s) that was amazing.  It was in fairly good condition (and why not, it was afterall only like 500 years old) and we were able to wander around and discuss all matters of things.  Brenda who is quite amazing in her own right is an archeologist and we had a pretty good time discussing my socialiogy thesis defense topics (of which I have not included because honestly speaking they're fairly difficult to come up with and I haven't but much thought into them since I have been without access..).  I may end up spending a few days with them when I get to new zealand as they are most pleasant and well, they seem to be right along the way, having this place out on the coromandel.. really fascinating, honestly.  Anyway, it was a most pleasant afternoon even if the swimming was very brief as the water on this side of greece is rather cold.

After that, not too much to report, ... siesta, wandered around the town some more, took photographs of the neocastro which was a few feet from the doorstep but was basically closed by the time we got back as it was sunday.  Went to dinner where annoying canadian gave us all her opinion on why americans were so fat since it had almost nothing to do with calorie content of the food, portion size or lack of exercise but the way we held our forks.  Since we were shovellers (held out forks with the curved end down) and the english who are so much skinnier held their forks the opposite way.  Since that was harder, that meant the english took more time to eat, which meant that their brains were able to tell them they were full and would stop sooner, where as the shoveller would just eat until what was on his or her plate was done and not realize they were full until well after and at that point it was too late, they'd over eaten.  Which is a horrible run on sentence, I know, but you'll have to deal with it.  This person is a grandmother.. it makes me wonder how someone could actually get so far with so little swimming around the noodle.
photo by: sylviandavid