Munich

Munich Travel Blog

"Did we expect that life was ever fair, my god? I sowed a field of rose and reaped a whipping rod" -- Toad the Wet Sprocket, Dam Would Break

I don't care what people say, Coil was a darned good Toad the Wet Sprocket Album, far better than Fear, although I do believe that well, without Fear there probably wouldn't have been the audience for an album like Coil.  But still, Dam Would Break is a beautiful song...

The bus ride over to Munich wasn't particularly long but still semi eventful as we dropped most of the crew off in Salzburg and we got a little sampling of the places that are along the highway that were featured in some prominant part of the movie.  Although, I have to say, that my "Sound of Music" movie watching days have sort of past me.. or well, they're bubbling just under the surface but i haven't indulged them in a long time.  But as most people know, the Sound of Music gnomes are quite difficult to get rid of, you sort of scrub and scrub and still your brain doesn't come clean.. you find yourself signing the insanely easy to rhyme lyrics, the infuriatingly simple melodies.. and before you know it.. you wish you were in a dress made out of fine sheets escaping nazi oppression by going to.. I don't know where since Salzburg is nowhere near Switzerland.

So, going to munich is sort of like going back home. I  lived there for a few months and it sort of landed at a point where life had gone all swirly for me and it was basically the cure for all ills.  As such, well, I'm not much by way of a tourist.  I know where i want to go, I know what i want to do and see and well. that is pretty much it.  Some things I am just not so interested in a second time around.  Like Dachau.. I mean, honestly, it is a necessary day trip if you are going to be in munich but its not really one of those kind of "hey, I know what we should do! lets all go to the concentration camp". In any light, I decided to skip it because, well, I decided to skip it.  I have seen it and was horrified about it the first time around.

Anyway, I had decided to show a girl around from the bus since well, I have been there before.. and so we wandered the old section of the town.  Wandered past the new town hall, the glockenspiel, the church of our lady, which is the symbol of the city with its dual onion domes over to the hofbräuhaus which was fun as usual.. even if we had a couple from the bus that I wasn't particularly enamored with flop down next to us.  Half the fun of going to the beer hall is get an interesting mix of cultures by having random people sit down next to you and all that.. having someone you already know and not like all that much sit down next to you, well, that just isn't my recipe for a good time.  Anyway, after two maß of beer, I figured it was a good time to head to the local cybercafe and dork around before passing out and all that.. in all, a sort of typical day.. weather again was fairly poor.. but its sort of expected now.
Munich