Dresden, the second

Dresden Travel Blog

After spending far too much time , I thought, being hindered or well catering to the slow lane strolling on the sightseeing tip, I decided to greatly pare the group down a bit and do things at my pace.  So, after a slow morning, I went with Phil to the new train station and got a family pass (good for two adults anywhere in the u-bahn, s-bahn net) and headed to the city of Meissen.  Its a well preserved midevil town and well, its a post card.  Just a half hour away from Dresden and well, worth the trip.  On the banks of the elbe, the midevil buildings, buffetted on the hillsides by vineyards.  On the hill overlooking the town, a gothic church, the views from which, just fantastic.

I could have stayed up there for hours with a good book, but I had other plans.

After we stopped for food (I again, had Phil in tow), we found a tourist information booth and we both got pins for the city.  I also grabbed a tourist book since I wanted to learn more about the area, which is where I found the Moritzburg castle.  A hunting lodge at one point, it was built up .. well, into this grandiouse building, on it's own man made island in the center of a lake.  Just .. crazy.  Anyway, the tourist book was a bad idea, since I really got an idea of all the things that I was going to miss out on.  I didn't get to see saxon switzerland (which by the way is in germany, not switzerland)  but I did get over to the castle, after making a pit stop in dresden to get Phil's camera.

He had forgotten to turn it off so had to let it charge.  So were were running around the city, around the train, into the hills and over the woods to grandma's house.

Were I to do it over again, or suggest to people what to do, you get a day pass, take the train to coswig, take the bus to moritzburg, then see the castle, then grab the bus to Meissen and come back down on the train.. either that or take a bike and head up to Moritzburg along the elbe.. just amazing, really.  Anyway, I was thrwarted in going to Saxon Switzerland because Phil was already making noises about being dragged everywhere.. I swear for being an 18 year old the boy wines like an old woman.  Just not good, really.  Anyway, part of travel, even with people you just randomly pick up is being able to accomodate those you are travelling with.. so I just went back to the hostel.  In any light, my puppies were barking as well, so I just caught an early sleep.. esp. since I had exhausted my money for the day and I wasn't going to pull anything else out knowing the next day I'd be in prague.

photo by: aloneinthecrowd