En Route to Recife

Recife Travel Blog

Airplane (Rio to Recife)

This was one of those legs of a journey that seemed totally unecessary. Brazil is a very large country, but flights from the United States primarily go to Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo, which are in the southen part of the country. Basically, on my flight from Atlanta, I flew fast Recife for a few hours to arrive in Rio, then wait for some time in the terminal, only to get back on a plane and fly another 3 hours to get back to Recife. What a drag, but what can you do, eh? Just hop from airplane to airplane and enjoy the ride until you arrive at your final destination. Recife itself seems like a rather large city, or what I saw of it anyway from the outskirts at the airport and my auto ride to Joao Pessoa. My impressions of Recife were that it looked to be a rather forboding and dangerous place.

Recife airport
Some tall buildings in the distance appeared to indicate it had some modern style and perhaps there were other historical buildings of interest here, but I had a sense it didnt't look like a place that was all that safe to venture into. I recall a blog entry here I read by TravBuddy member Paul (Paulovic) and he had some photos of the city which looked sort of nice, but had some mixed experience in Recife I gathered (See Paul's blog entry: Faded Glory in a shabby place). Some places he felt safe and others not. From what I saw on the outskirts, Recife was not safe. I could not really capture many good photos as it was very late in the afternoon where everything was in shadow, and perhaps that added to the gloomy nature of the place.
Recife skyline from the outskirts
It appeared to be a very depressed place, buildings and other infrastructure in need of repair, and in some state of poverty it appeared. Well, I don't want to judge the place too harshly as I did not venture inside, but thought I would offer my impressions from the outside. It took some time to get out of range of Recife from the airport as the driver had some very circuitous routes to travel by, though he seemed to know what he was doing. This had something to do with the traffic here, and at one point he crossed a bridge, veered off an exit, turned down a dusty, pot hole ridden road, emerged on the other side and headed back to the bridge. I got a little confused about it, as there were some more twists and turns, but he eventually got us on to open road and some smooth sailing. Needless to say, it ranks as one of the weirdest airport escapes by car from an airport in my experience. From there it was a very long drive of a couple/few hours from Recife to Joao Pessoa. I took a few photos along the way until sunset came.

spocklogic says:
That would have come in handy for my trip!
Posted on: Dec 05, 2017
vulindlela says:
They used to have a nonstop to Recife from Atlanta....too bad it is gone.
Posted on: Dec 05, 2017
Recife skyline from the outskirts
In flight magazine (Rio to Recife)
In flight magazine (Rio to Recife)
In flight snack (Rio to Recife)
In flight snack (Rio to Recife)
photo by: Paulovic