Touring San Pedro

San Pedro Travel Blog

Original Port building and Welcome sign

Originally I thought the cruise was going to leave from San Diego which would have been great as I have never been there.

I've never been to San Pedro either, but it isn't as much of a tourist destination.  So I researched.    I found that there was a trolley that stopped at the hotel which would go down to the waterfront, which I thought would be one thing I could do.  I also like to take photos of lighthouses, and there were at least two that I thought I could see in San Pedro.  One, the Point Fermin Lighthouse was fairly close to the hotel, and the Angels Gate Lighthouse in Los Angeles harbor.

Angels Gate Lighthouse
  The Angels Gate Lighthouse would probably be best viewed from a boat, so when I called the hotel (to ask about shipping my scooter), I asked about harbor tours and they gave me three names (and also gave me the bad news about the trolley).   I looked up all of the names she gave me.  I also thought I might visit the Maritime Museum.

My goals for the day:
Point Fermin Lighthouse
Harbor Tour
Lunch
Cabrillo Marine Museum

Since yesterday was such a long day, I slept until I felt like waking up this morning.  I left my watch on Eastern time, so it was about 10:00 Eastern time when I got up.  Not really so late as it would only be 7:00 in California.

I went to take a shower and it took me at least 15 minutes to figure out how to get the hand held shower to work and I never did really figure out how to adjust the temperature.
Shuttle van driver
  Polly left me some stuff to put on my skin and my hair (Polly owns a hair salon and she has been cutting and styling my hair since 1974) and I got them mixed up and put the skin stuff on my hair.  But I was wearing a hat so I guess it wasn't really important.

In the meantime, Polly went to breakfast - you could either have a continental breakfast for $10 or a full breakfast for $16.00.  She got the continental breakfast, and she brought me back a banana and some cranberry juice.  I really don't like paying for breakfast at a hotel when so many of the cheaper hotels have it for free.  I had expected to have to pay for the internet here, but I didn't unless I wanted premium service.

When I got down to the lobby, Polly was talking to a man with a cowboy hat and a white goatee who turned out to be a Teamsters rep who was there for contract negotiations - the meetings were being held in the hotel.
Cabrillo marina sign
  I saw a guy in the hotel uniform with a headpiece like the order taker in a drive through and I went over to ask him about going to the Point Fermin lighthouse and taking a harbor tour.  He turned out to be the shuttle driver.  So he put the scooter in the van and we set off.

First we drove toward the lighthouse.  The van driver took us on a tour of some of the parts of San Pedro on the way to it. We saw the statue of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo.  He is now remembered as the first European to travel the California coast, and many parks, schools, buildings and streets in California bear his name. Noteably in San Pedro, there is Cabrillo Beach and the Cabrillo Marine Museum.

And then we saw the statue of Stephen M. White.   As a U.
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo Statue
S. Senator, White led the campaign in Congress to make San Pedro a major harbor.  A deep-water harbor was constructed in San Pedro with federal funds as a result of White’s determined efforts.   The figure is described as follows:

"The subject is a stubby man, comfortably overweight, in the fashion of his time, with a Ulysses S. Grant beard. He wears an ill-cut suit with a frock coat and trousers that hang low at his heel and break twice at the ankle.
   “His coat is open to show an unkempt six–button vest. His bow tie is askew against a wing collar. The whole impression is that of a man who has slept on a bus.
  “His left thumb is stuck in a pocket. His right arm is raised and extended in what is probably meant to be a visionary gesture.
Stephen M. White statue at the entrance to Cabrillo Beach off Stephen M. White Drive
"

The original statue designed by a deaf and mute artist, Douglas Tilden was originally in Los Angeles, but was moved to San Pedro in Feb 23, 1989

The lighthouse turned out to be in the trees so I couldn't see it clearly but Polly got out and went running off with her phone to take photos of it.  She got some good photos, but they are all movies and my computer didn't recognize her phone.  After she emerged from the park, he drove us down to Ports of Call which seems to be a whole conglomeration of restaurants with at least three places where you can get a boat tour.  We paid for our tickets and went to board the boat. There were ramps to get onto the boat which I thought the scooter could do, so I gave the captain the tickets and he followed me down - I guess to see that I made it and didn't fall off the dock.
Squid hats for sale in the office
   At the bottom of the ramp down to the dock he said there was a dip to the left (which I saw) and I should lean right which I was already doing.  Then the ramp up to the boat he pushed a little, but it was no strain. Many of my photos weren't that good because I was too close to things and too low to the water, but getting to know the harbor layout gave me the information I needed to take photos from the cruise ship the next afternoon.  I went inside as my back was hurting and tried to lie down but the benches were too narrow.  But it was cooler out of the sun

We got off the boat and went to look for a place to eat since the hotel restaurant is not open for lunch.  After lunch, Polly wanted to know if we should try to go to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum (which we saw from the water), but I felt I had really done enough and could skip that.
Port cranes

After we ate we called for the guy to pick us up and were told it would be a wait.  Polly asked if he could call us and we would stay seated inside, but eventually I decided to go out and we found a place to sit in the shade.  He came not long after that but he had a flat tire.  We told him he could go to the gas station and get the tire blown up before he need to take us to the hotel.  (The van had A/C.) So he drove to a Sinclair station.  Apparently this is one of the few remaining Sinclair stations in the world, but we didn't know that, so we didn't take a photo.

We got back to the hotel and cranked up the A/C (which is done with a remote).  I did email and stuff on the computer for awhile and also plugged the scooter in - Polly plugged in the scooter end, but forgot to plug in the other end.
George in the lobby
  She went down for a swim but she said there were too many kids in the pool.

We were to meet George (the travel agent who arranged the group cruise) at 5, so we went down to the lobby.     We met George and got our group T-shirts and lanyards and talked to people. The group decided to take a hotel van over to the 22nd Street Landing restaurant that we tried to go to on Monday for lunch.

When we got back here to the hotel after dinner, I just went to bed.

Original Port building and Welcome…
Original Port building and Welcom…
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo Statue
Stephen M. White statue at the ent…
Stephen M. White statue at the en…
Angel's Gate Lighthouse
The Los Angeles Harbor (San Pedro Harbor; Angel's Gate) lighthouse in San Pedro is located at the end of the San Pedro Harbor breakwater about 1/2 mil… read entire review
San Pedro Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Seafood by the Marina
The group decided to take a hotel van over to the 22nd Street Landing restaurant that we tried to go to on Monday for lunch. Since it was now Tuesday,… read entire review
Point Fermin - Sibling to Hereford Inlet
I like to take photos of lighthouses, so I looked on the Lighthouse Directory (https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/index.htm) and there were at le… read entire review
San Pedro Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Cooler Inside
We got off the boat and went to look for a place to eat since the hotel restaurant is not open for lunch. We walked all around the docks. It was very … read entire review
Boat Tour
I wanted to see the Angels Gate Lighthouse and I thought that the best way to do that would be to take a harbor tour. At the port in San Pedro there … read entire review
San Pedro