Arizona 2004

Phoenix Travel Blog

My travels took me to Arizona in 2004. I didn't really know what to expect other than heat. Sure I'd seen it on TV and it looked like a cool (not in a temperature way) place albeit quite desolate. What I found was a place thats very hard to describe, but very interesting all the same. Arizona is predominately desert but not the sense that it's all sand. It's got a very interesting landscape, and the red rock fromations are stunning.

I've two striking memories from my trip. I should preface this with the fact that I didn't get up to see the Grand Canyon. When I was there Arizona had some forest fires and they were advising people not to travel north as safety could not be guaranteed and road may have been closed, so the canyon is not one of my memories. That's for another trip.

The two striking memories I have are,

The peace and tranquility of Sedona. The place was busy with people about but there was just something so peaceful about the place. I know it's reputedly a very spiritual place so I believe that what adds to the tranquility.

2. This will seem so silly, but the other memory and picture I can see in my head, and I don't have a photo of it, just on the outskirts of Scottsdale there is a golf course. I passed it a few times in a car and it was probably the only true green colour I saw the whole time while there. It was as if the grass were painted it was so green. It really stood out in the desert landscape.

While I was there I has met up with an online friend and instead of going north toward the Canyon we went south pass Tuson toward the New Mexico border to go camping.

I'd never been camping in my life prior to it. If you are going to do something you might as well do it right I thought, so I went camping in dusty hills, deep in the wilderness wehre apparently bears wandered. Maybe they were just trying to scare me because I didn't see any. I enjoy the trip through Arizona and back. It's definitely a state worth visiting, and all the people I meet were really friendly.

If your a pasty white pale skinned person like us Irish, bring the sunblock and get out there and enjoy it. It hot, but not humid so it's bearable with plenty of water. I definitely going back in the future to see the northern part and the Canyon.

WaltJake says:
Too bad you missed the Grand Canyon! Now you have a good excuse to go back!
Posted on: Jan 23, 2008
Dust Twister. Can barely make it o…
Dust Twister. Can barely make it …