Touchdown in Krakow

Krakow Travel Blog

Krakow Airport

Poland is a European country that has been on my radar for a while now. Steeped in a thousand odd years of history and culture, this Central European country, as far as I can tell, has a distinct identity of its own that defies attempts to crudely lump it in with its near neighbours.

If there was one word that sprung to mind to describe Poland before I visited here - bearing in mind my non-expertise on all things Polish - was ‘resilient’. This is a country that has suffered many setbacks, the most notorious of which could be found in the twentieth century, around World War II (very few countries could claim to have suffered more out of it) and in the communist aftermath, and yet has managed to survive and, dare I say it, even thrive.

So it was to be an informative visit, I hoped, to gain the sort of insight in to the place you can only get through being on the ground.

Krakow Train Station
It being my first time here I naturally wanted to check out the twin attractions of Warsaw and Krakow. But as well as experiencing the urban charms, I also wanted a snapshot of its natural beauty too, so I also checked out Zakopane in the Tatra Mountains. And finally I wanted to undertake a sombre rites of passage that many visitors to Poland check out - a trip to Auschwitz-Birkenau.

Travelling from London in the afternoon on a Sunday, the first day was given over to travelling - my flight left from Stansted, which annoyingly meant having to go from my house in Southwest London to an airport to the North East of the city. And I was with Ryanair too, possibly for the last time, as I had an anxious wait in the days and weeks prior to see if my flight would be one of those cancelled as a result of their messing up the holiday rota of their pilots.

Crow-covered nighttime sky

The flight itself went fine, bar an especially noisy baby in the row behind me, whose crying/screaming were obnoxiously loud - you would have thought his parents were torturing him - and unbelievably persistent; he was crying for at least half of the flight!

Still, we landed on time, and getting to my hotel in central Krakow was straightforward enough. Dusk was setting in upon my arrival, which made for some lovely Autumnal colours both on view from the train enroute, plus over the cityscape skyline. My taste of Krakow for now was limited to the mostly modern buildings in and around the train station - I would, of course, get my proper experience it upon returning here in just under a week’s time.

Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured blog today!
Kathrin_E says:
Congratulations on your featured blog!
gingerbatik says:
congrats on the featured:)
Barbican
Barbican
Krakow Hotels & Accommodations review
Excellent location and decent comfort
If you’re arriving in to Krakow by train or bus, you could do worse than stay in this place. Ideally located on the northern edge of the old town, b… read entire review
Krakow