A hectic start

New York Travel Blog

appetizers and salad

It was time for our Fall Break trip.  We had wanted to go to Eastern Europe, but it just did not look good for stand-by travel.  Nothing looked good to anywhere really, and to be honest, I was close to giving up and just staying in the States.

I saw that both Shannon and Dublin, Ireland looked great for stand-by.  We had been to Dublin several years ago, so we chose Shannon, so we could see the Cliffs of Moher.  We would later find out why these flights may have been so open.

Now we would need to get out of our home city.  Gosh, everything was packed!  However, I saw that we could get to New York from Louisville, Kentucky which is just 2 hours south of us.

main course
  I hired a one way car for $40 and we headed out on Friday October 13.

We were making good time, until we got to Lousiville, and then the traffic was at a standstill.  Ugh, now it was tight, time wise.  Our flight departed at 6pm, and it was about 4:45.  We needed to fuel the car as well.  By the time we made the Louisville SDF Airport, it was about 5pm.  We rushed inside, and the wait for security looked alright.  It took about 20 minutes to go through, and now we were ok.

This was Delta flight 5874, which was an EMB-170 aircraft.

We cleared for first class, with daughter and I in seats 1C and 1D, and wife in seat 2C.   It was a quick hour and a half over to LGA Airport, and I enjoyed 3 gin and tonics on the way.

We arrived about 7:45, and our next flight from JFK Airport was not until 10:50pm, so we got a taxi over to there for about $35.   We made it with lots of time to spare and just waited.

We cleared for business class on the JFK-SNN flight which was Delta flight 406, a 767-300 aircraft.  We had seats 1B, 1C, and I was in 1D.

We settled in and the plane pushed back on time.  Unfortunately, we had to go back to the gate with a mecahical problem.  The delay was 2 hours until the issue was fixed.  I even wathed the entire movie of "Fletch" while on the ground.

Once in the air, it would be a quick 6 hours to Shannon.  I ate the meal of goat cheese ravioli, while watching the film "The Founder".  After the movie and some ice cream, I got a few hours sleep before breakfast and arrival.

HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured blog. Well done.
Posted on: Oct 24, 2017
joseph98 says:
Can’t say I’ve managed to watch a whole movie while waiting to board a severely delayed flight...!
Posted on: Oct 24, 2017
WalterC says:
Sounds like my typical time when getting to the airport towards the end of my trip, cutting it very close.
Posted on: Oct 23, 2017