Jamaica, Mon!

Ocho Rios Travel Blog

View from hotel room patio

Wow, what a great place!   Such friendly people the Jamaicans are!

We flew down to Fort Lauderdale on a Northwest Airlink CRJ-200 and then caught a Spirit Airlines A-319 to Montego Bay.   It was about 2 hours and $40 return by bus to Ocho Rios from there.   One thing that I noticed right away is that the north side of the island was spared from Hurricane Dean.   There was almost zero visible damage.

After arriving into Ocho Rios and checking into The Silver Seas Hotel, we went to Dunn's River Falls.   This was the best part of the whole trip.   It costs $15 to enter and is well worth it.

Beach area at Dunn's River Falls
   They have free changing rooms and a locker will cost you $5.   There is also a nice beach at the base of the Falls.   Climbing the Falls was easy to me.  Be careful though, as there are a few slippery spots!

At around 5:30 pm, the Falls was closing so we headed over to the Hard Rock Cafe, which was my 87th one to visit.   Did not hang out there too long though.   We had dinner at one of the many jerk centers.  The jerk chicken is so good, especially with many ice cold Red Stripes!   Later that evening, we walked around Ocho Rios and ventured into an outdoor market that seemed never ending.   We were in places that see few tourists, that is for sure.   I never felt unsafe there and the People are so happy and friendly.

Later, we just hung out on the hotel patio, drinking Red Stripes.

The next day consisted of beach, pool, walking around Ochi, jerk chicken, and many Red Stripes!

Had to leave after that, back home.   We flew a Northwest A-320 from Montego Bay to Memphis and then another NWA A-320 from Memphis to Indy, in first class.

I was never really interested in going to Jamaica, but am glad we did!    I will try to go back ASAP!

agadam says:
I love River Falls and climb on top !!!!!
Posted on: Apr 04, 2011
Glamour88 says:
Jamaica is beautiful...although I have not been there for well over 10 years now.

If you really enjoyed Jamaica I would recommend a couple of smaller Caribbean Islands as well; Antigua and Grenada are beautiful and I found the people even friendlier! In Grenada they have helicopter trips where you can fly over Montserrat amazing views, plus there are sailing trips around the Grenadines which are spectacular.
Posted on: Jun 05, 2010
HRC
HRC
Ocho Rios Hotels & Accommodations review
Off the beaten path
I booked this place because of the cost. We got it in low season for about $70 per night. It is sort of off the beaten path and difficult to find bu… read entire review