Day One: Bangalore to Madikeri

Madikeri Travel Blog

I always have trouble starting a blog. So, I am just going to shoot what's in my head.

We were supposed to start our 5 days road trip by 6 am. But, we got delayed by 45 minutes, which was not too bad. We stopped by the famous Kamat (remember? ) for breakfast and had their delicious buffet breakfast! I love South Indian breakfast! We then took off to the hilly district of Coorg in my state Karnataka. Coorg is about 5 hours by road from Bangalore.

Our first stop at Coorg was the Golden Temple or Namdroling Monastry. Yes, there is a Tibetan settlement in Coorg. Foreigners are not allowed inside of the monastry and I see students of an international school there.

Could not have asked for more :)Presuming they had prior permits. I have always loved Buddhist Monastries and this one didn't disappoint me too. It was peaceful, coulourful and simply stunning (if I can use this adjective for a religious place!).

Next stop: Cauvery River 'Nisarga Dhama' - its a river side nature camp kind of place. They have tented cottages too if you like. The main attraction here, for me atleast was the hanging bridge. Having visited this spot as a child was very keen on exploring the place with my husband. But, since it was a weekday, there wasn't too much of tourist crowd and so he didn't really fancy it much. Yes, he likes crowd! So, without wasting much time, we drove directly to Madikeri - the capital of Coorg.

We reached our Lodge by around 3.30 pm. Too late for lunch and too early for high tea. Anyways, the place is beautiful - review later. Got an update from the manager about the places to visit, best time to visit, etc. He suggested we visit 'Raja's Seat' that evening for the sunset. So, after having hot pakodas and tea, we left for Raja's Seat at 5.30 PM. There's a cute toy train ride near by which my toddler didn't find cute! Thanks to the tiring journey and lack of sleep. I enjoyed it though :)

Raja's Seat is a beautiful park/garden kind of place with an ancient structure. It is believed that the Raja (King) sat here and enjoyed the beautiful view- the view of the Madikeri Hills which looks more beautiful during sunset. After the sunset, we visited a small temple near by and back to the Lodge for dinner.