Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway

Orick Travel Blog

After having secured my sleeping arrangements for  the night I continued south on  Rt. 101 (I lost track of how far.......maybe an hour or two) until arriving at the most beautiful forest I've ever seen .

There were quite a few spots where you could park your car and hike along the  trails which wound through the forest. I parked at one of them and took a long hike along a trail, snapping photos along the way. My photos don't do justice to the true enormity of those trees, since there's nothing in them to provide a sense of  scale. For me it was a deeply moving, almost spiritual experience to behold those  stately, ancient behemoths standing their slient sentinal .  To quote John Steinbeck, The redwoods, once seen, leave a mark or create a vision which stays with you always.
.....from them comes silence and awe. The most irreverent of men, in the presence of redwoods, goes under a spell of wonder and respect.

In the late afternoon I started making my way back towards Crescent City to get some supper and have a look around. On the way I noticed several  botanical parks and research centers which would have been fascinating to visit had I more time.

Had  dinner at a Denny's restaurant and then went for a long walk on the beach  until sundown, after which I did a driving tour of the town before returning to my campsite for the evening.

After a refreshing hot shower I slept comfortably that night on my air mattress in the "Motel Toyota".
photo by: cygnus16