A new state meant a new statement

Dayton Travel Blog

So the job compelled me to abandon my beloved North Carolina and move back to Ohio.  I strive to maintain a positive attitude because Ohio does not have a stellar reputation for travel adventures.  The return actually helped me appreciate the value of TravBuddy, because my participation here has taught me treasures are everywhere, you only need to seek them.  As I hope to share with this blog, there are quite a few local delights, but there was a bias to overcome.

Allow me to explain.

About twenty years ago I lived in Maine but worked in Washington DC (meaning I flew south every Monday morning and back Friday).  There was a local DC band I became a fan of named “Eddie from Ohio” and my wife bought me one of their tee shirts as a Christmas present.  This quickly became standard travel attire.  At a minimum, wearing the shirt guaranteed somebody hurling a fun “Hi Eddie” my direction and particularly when traveling internationally, the greeting was followed by an inquiry whether I truly hailed from Ohio.  Being able to respond ‘Maine’ led to wonderful conversations about Bar Harbor, lobsters, LL Bean or some other wonderful facet of this beautiful state.

Thus I deemed it a cruel irony when we found ourselves actually relocating to Ohio.  Now my forced affirmation to the formerly fun question led to a consistent response of “OH” and abrupt termination of further words.  At least I could appreciate the state’s abbreviation now.  Returning with an evolved ‘travel’ attitude, I am determined to prospect for local gold and earn redemption.

Travel never fails to thrill me with unexpected twists and turns, and the entrée for exploration would be born from reading a brilliant history book just before I relocated.  “Destiny of the Republic” is a biography of President James Garfield which was well reviewed and I wanted to check it out as a potential Christmas present for my mother.  The book weaves intriguing themes which almost convert non-fiction into a murder mystery and opened my eyes to a talented and decent individual.  Garfield was assassinated several months into his first term, robbing the opportunity to leave an executive legacy.  This book erased my ignorance and further alerted me to the existence of Lawnfield, Garfield’s home in Mentor, Ohio just outside of Cleveland.

Cleveland is almost as distant as you can get from Dayton within Ohio, but an easy four hour drive.  A good friend of mine, Cindy, has been living in Cleveland for twenty some years now (her husband, Todd, is a professor at Case Western Reserve University), so I reached out to see if they were interested in rendezvousing.  This yielded another brilliant example of travel serendipity: Cindy was unaware of Lawnfield but extended the tour by telling me how we needed to follow up by heading to nearby Lake View Cemetery, where Garfield is interred in a splendid memorial.

Excellent.  Let’s start exploring the new back yard!

gingerbatik says:
congrats on the featured Vance and it is very interesting story:)
Posted on: Oct 04, 2017
Paulovic says:
Congrats on being featured today, Vance! :)
Posted on: Oct 03, 2017
HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured blog. Well done.
Posted on: Oct 03, 2017