Tela... tela, tela, tela... i know nothing about you

Tela Travel Blog

I’m arriving in my destination city of Tela, Honduras. This was in no way part of the plan but I got some good recommendations that this was the place to come hit up on the coast of Honduras. The beaches are dangerous at night and I gotta keep my eyes sharp for trouble in this place at times, but for the most part it is a simple little town on the beach.

I am staying at a small, run down hotel, but I got a huge single room for only $5.50 a night, so again, who’s to complain. The room looks shady, but again we’ll see what happens. And if you see my review on where I stayed in Nicaragua then you’ll see any place is an upgrade from that hole in hell.

I’ve walked the town and found a nice place to eat at. Lonely Planet’s maps and restraints and hostels are out of date, but the ones that are operational are very good and great recommendations. It turned out to be about 13 hours the first day and then 14 hours the second day to Tegucigalpa. Of course what’s a long distance bus trip without a breakdown on a mountain road. But it was just a flat, and five cigarettes and 45 min. later we were back on the road. From Tegucigalpa I was going to grab a place to stay then head to the Bay Islands the next day, but I met a local man who offered to help and said I still could make the coast if I stayed on the bus I had came on. So I payed the extra $15 and headed north. We got off together at some unknown town, and I waited at a resturaunt where he and his family dropped me off and grabbed a bus out about an hour later.

The drive was so beautiful and the roads were so well made on this trip it was like being in luxury after travelling through Nicaragua. I arrived in Tela at 9:30pm, and flagged down a cab, and we went hostel shopping. My choices were limited because the hostels listed in Lonely planet were closed, but I managed to find the one I’m staying at which works out perfect. It’s just great to have my own room and to be able to rest. God I am tired!

Tela