I'll miss her... sure to come back

Antigua Travel Blog

Well I’m nearing the end of my stay here and it has been as magical as I hoped it would be. I wish I had another two or three months here. I’d be fluent in Spanish and I’d have time to check all the sites in and throughout Guatemala. I love meeting the people here and the hostel I am staying at- its top notch for sure. I only wish they had a common room you could hangout at later at night, but all in all its been too perfect. The staff is extremely friendly and perfectly rude (not in a bad way) just in a way that would make a boy from Texas right at home!

There is something about this city that sparks love and interest and just has this… well I said it before- this Latin pulse. It’s something the other countries I visited definitely lacked. I’ve gotten my fill on Latin life though because of my two plus weeks in Antigua and I can’t wait to return.

If you do visit this fine city you will find prices higher than the rest of the country, but there are some gems here for the traveler. The traveler inn is a perfect spot for a big and filling meal and I love the dark, cryptic pub like vibe there. Good book swap selection as well and the music suites the mood.

Also the Rainbow Cafe is a book shop with a great array of books to buy (though at full price) and a great place to read. Very good tea and margaritas, and not a bad cup of coffee.

The main square in the city is where the heart of Antigua beats. Many nights and days I found myself lounging in the park, reading, people watching and taking in the sites. Or in the case of my Polish/German cohorts, rolling some joints and lighting them up (I pass on grass… most of the time J )

Casa Santo Domingo Hotel Antigua to the east of the city is an amazing place to visit to see an old monastery re built and restored into a grand hotel that President Clinton himself stayed at. There are too many other places to list to visit and check out, but you should find out yourself and pound the streets of Antigua to see what I mean.

Monoloco's is a great place to meat other expats and travelers and they have really good food for typical gringo prices.

Also Riley’s is the perfect bar to go meet someone, grab a rare but expensive Guinness and catch the local nightlife. The club across the street hops as well, and hit up Hotel Sin Ventura where every Tuesday and Saturday night, the places is jumping for salsa dancing and great music- and oh sweet God the women and those hips! You gotta love Latin America!

photo by: monky