EuropeItalyRome

A long night flight: Rome to Santiago

Rome Travel Blog

Onboard in Alitalia

Booking our airline tickets as always 11 to 6 months in advance to get a cheaper price.  I use Skyscanner for search engine for flights. Alitalia has very tempting price which hard to resist I booked the ticket to Santiago through Alitalia website. I flown with Alitalia a couple of times for short flights and it wasn't that bad for a short leg, but for long haul flight I was expected for more space. But no, it was like flying with their small aircraft so tight

Flight schedule was good departing on Friday evening from Brussels at 18:00 pm - a 2 hour 15 minutes fly with 1 hour 30 minutes layover in Rome. The aircraft landed on tarmac and were taken in a bus which was 5 minutes ride to the arrival terminal, passing through passport control from there we took the train to international terminal.

Here I move

Onboard is ontime from Rome to Santiago is 16 hours fly. The seat rows of Alitalia for long haul flight is 3-4-3, I'm allocate in a middle seat Didier had a window next to me the aisle, sitting a big guy I'm squeeze in middle. We're seating on the second row 19a and 19b - I see one seat in front of us is empty I waited till everyone is onboard and I'm very lucky I can move to the front seat which has more leg room. I have a comfortable flight for 16 hours.

The second problem - most television screen is not working during the flight, imagine sitting for 16 hours on a flight without entertainment it was so bored. Everyone is complaining about the screen, thus they re-set the whole system a couple of times but no succeed. I think we flown with an old airbus of Alitalia, because of our returned flight everything is working we even had wifi onboard.

Santiago airport
What an awful flight we had on Alitalia! I would never flying again with the airline absolutely not on long haul flight I don't care if its cheap

We arrived in Santiago in the morning. Passport control goes very slow, but we get there and I got stamped of 90 days without any hassle. Didier went to another counter we split-up because of a long lines - the immigration officer need to see his onward ticket - I carry all documents he's so lucky I didn't go outside yet.

Is very strange why the border officer need his plane ticket while mine is never asked. Well, everything is fine, he got stamped too. Very important to have a copy of your air e-ticket, without it you will be denied to enter the country.

We headed to baggage carrousel and then, withdraw some money. There are a few ATM's at the arrivals.

Rental car offices
For ATM machines - go outside the arrival terminal, go to your right side walk to the end of the building and then go right inside the building, there you find all the ATM machines

Before this trip I've done a lot of research about banks and money in Chile as we used credit cards for withdrawing cash. We carry a few US dollars for hotel payments. After researching I found out that only with Banco De Chile you can withdraw money with a limit of 200.000 pesos plus 6.00 pesos charge. While in the other banks they only have 150.000 pesos maximum. Inside the arrival terminal you'll find Banco De Chile ATM machine

When planning this trip we certainly need a car. Rent a car in Chile is very expensive especially the duration of one month.

Our car for one month
I came to the website of Chilean http://www.chileanrentacar.cl/ this is the cheapest rentals in Santiago I found during my research. I waited to book the car three weeks before our trip, during booking online no advance payment needed, but once we pick-up the car at the airport they charge the whole amount from our credit card, and no extra amount required for guarantee. We carry our own navigation system TomTom and download Chile map in it, is not free to download online but price of 50 euro only.

We had the economy the cheapest car which all good for us. A good car actually never have had problem - we drove from South to North and to high altitude of Chile,  all insurances included in the price. The clerk of Chilean counter is very helpful she explains everything - driving on roads in Chile is not free there are toll booths everywhere and only payable in cash pesos.

The suepermarket
She said is important to have enough pesos

Thus, we got the car documents, all we do is to find the car outside the parking. Car rentals in Santiago airport is good organize, each rental company stated clearly their car parking. When we got to the parking, one of Chilean staff is waiting for us, he showed everything inside the car also warned us where to park in Santiago, he said that car thief is active in some places in Chile, when leaving the car in a parking no visible stuff let inside the vehicle

After checking the car were ready to go- from Santiago airport we drove direction Rancagua where we have our hotel for one night. But before reaching Rancagua we first went to a supermarket. I found out the name Lider is the biggest supermarket in Chile, they have branch all over the county.

I note down some addresses of supermarkets and there is one Lider not far from our hotel in Rancagua, so we went there and bought some drinks, snacks etc, we surely needed this stuff in this trip especially we will going to do a lot of road trips. After the groceries we drove straight to our hotel.

Paulovic says:
Congrats on being featured today!
Posted on: Oct 20, 2017