Seeing the White House

Washington Travel Blog

statue of Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I started the day with the pancake breakfast at the hostel. Then had to get ready and pack up, as I would be leaving DC later on. And did get to meet a guy from Iowa, as well as a bunch of people from Europe. After packing up, I got only the necessary things, and put my backpack in storage. Then headed out.

I wanted to visit one more attraction before leaving DC. Leaving the hostel, I walked to Lafayette Square, which has a bunch of statues. After going through it, I came upon the White House. The White House is the official home and workplace of the US President and their family.

This was not my first time seeing it, as I have seen it in past trips. But this time, the street directly in front of it, was closed off. So I could only see it from across the street. And I would not go inside it, since that required advanced reservations, which I did not have.

White House

Afterwards, I walked to the nearby White House Visitor Center, which is a visitor center and museum on the White House. I went inside, and looked around. More about this place in the review here.

After seeing this place, I walked towards back to the hostel, stopping by a couple places along the way. Once I got back to the hostel, I packed up the rest of my things into my backpack. Then headed back out, to the Metro. Then rode it to Union Station.

At the station, I tried to buy 2 different tickets. The first being the MARC train ticket, which I did buy, to go back to Baltimore. The second would have been a Greyhound ticket, to return home in Philly. But it was not possible to buy a ticket from Baltimore to Philly at that station, since I am in DC. Either I would have to be in Baltimore, or buy it online. Oh well, I was hoping, just to get it out of the way.

After all this, I went to the MARC train, and hopped on it. And with just enough time, as the train would leave Union Station a short time after. Leaving Washington DC, I was heading back to Baltimore.

statue of Andrew Jackson
model of the White House
model of the White House
all the US Presidents
all the US Presidents
closer look of photo, of Chelsea C…
closer look of photo, of Chelsea …
James K. Polk and his staff
James K. Polk and his staff
flagpole finial
flagpole finial
desk used by Franklin D. Roosevelt
desk used by Franklin D. Roosevelt
Washington Sights & Attractions review
Not a substitute for visiting the actual White House
White House Visitor Center is located near the White House. Not a substitute for visiting the White House itself. The White House requires advanced re… read entire review