So where were the survivors?

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Reef Bar, Broadstairs.

The wonderful Broadstairs Folk Week officially ends on the Friday evening but there is a bit of a tradition that had evolved over the years called "Survivors Saturday".  Basically, all the festival-goers have gone home as the campsite has to be vacated by midday and a small crew of guys take down all the fencing, signage and so on (I have done it and it is hard work) after which there is a bit of a drink in the excellent Neptune's Hall pub for those of us that are still left.  The organisers put on a few jugs of beer for the workers who have grafted their backsides off all week, working all hours, to ensure that the festival can function and hopefully turn enough of a profit to let it carry on the next year.  Quite honestly it cannot work any  other way, it is what makes it the viable entity it is now.

Reef Bar, Broadstairs.
  Yes, the festival employs a professional security firm for the campsite but just about everything else is done by volunteers, many of who return year upon year.  If any reader is interested in getting involved, or indeed playing, here is the website.

So, I wandered in for Survivors Saturday to the Neps, as we call it, to find the place just about empty.  Yes, I knew the barmaid and have done since she ws old enough to work in a bar.  I know her Mother!  That tells you how long I have been playing there.  I asked about Survivors and was told that nobody had been in so it was not as if I had just turned up too late which can certinly happen to me after Friday "last night" at Folk Week.
Reef Bar, Broadstairs.

Seems like something else has changed.  Yes, it saddened me to a degree but it made me realise that nothing stays the same.  It has changed so much from the days when I played four booked gigs in one day or the year when so many musicians (I do not include myself in the musician category but I make a noise on the guitar) played for nothing because the festival was just about to fold.  For me, that was what it was all aobut and what continues to make it so special.  Yes, it is on a far mpre professional footing now which may explain the demise of Survivors Saturday but I'd rather have it that way than going to the wall.

In the absence of my usual Saturday post-festival bacchanalian debauchery I decided to take myself off to the Reef bar / restaurant, again no more than about three hundred yards from my front door.  A full review of the place is attached to this journal entry.

A few very decent beers in there and it was off home for a bite to eat and an early bed.  Yes, I know, I know, it is hardly the rock 'n' roll lifestyle but I am less than three years away from getting a Senior Citizen's bus pass so give me a bit of a break here!

Stay tuned.

planxty says:
OK, give me a break, mate. You know what my lifestyle is like and at least you look after yourself. Just scored another beer gig for tomorrow so who knows when I shall leave here? Iam old merely by virtue of the abuse I have heaped upon my boor old bones over decades!

Speak soon,

Fergy.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2017
Toonsarah says:
A bit less of the 'getting old' stuff would be appreciated, given that you're several years younger than I am!!
Posted on: Sep 28, 2017
Broadstairs Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Great bar but expensive.
I have known this place in many guises over a long number of years. The last time I played at the Broadstairs Folk Week in 2015 it was a rather good … read entire review
Broadstairs