So this is the end?

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Band at Broadstairs Folk Week.

By the morning of the 18th of August which was the last official day of Folk Week I had fallen into a well practiced routine which fits me like a pair of very comfortable old slippers.  Basically I would wake up in the morning, scrub my stinking bones, have a can of breakfast and then walk the couple of hundred yards to the lunchtime session at the George pub to back my mate Paul and whatever excellent booked guest was "on duty" that day.  The general protocol is that the booked guest sits on Paul's left but he always keeps a seat for me on his right hand side which I suppose make me his right hand man which is a position I am happy to occupy as it is always a pleasure to play with the man.  He is one of the most versatile musicians I know as well as being a dear friend.  As always, there was a good crowd and we had a cracking session but I declined the offer of a follow on session elsewhere and opted for a small dozette, I must be getting old.  OK, I am not getting old, I am old and I like a little nap in the afternoon!

Awaking from my afternoon slumber, I took off to the town again, delibrerately leaving my guitar behind so I didn't get dragged into another session somewhere.  I had a wander round and checked out a couple of bands, one in the gardens of the Albion Hotel where I had resided a few nights before and one in the George where I had been spending most of my lunchtimes.  It was a very enjoyable night and I met up with a few old friends to catch up with all the local gossip.  Although I was properly accredited, I am in the lucky position that I do not even have to show my wristband any more as every doorman in the town knows me.  I know it is a small thing and may seem insignificant to the reader but it actually pleases me in a strange way, it means I am accepted there and I like that.

So that was that then.  Another Folk Week over, one that I had not even intended to play, one that I was not booked to play, so what was that now?  23, 24?  Frankly I have no idea and nor do the organisers, as previously explained because of the  destruction of the old records, but it is really an irrelevance.  All I know is that I love playing there, I have a lot of very dear friends there and, whilst I would hope to be in Canada this time next year I shall retain the very fondest of memories about this wonderful festival, all the abiding friendships I have made here (of which more in later entries on this journal).  The fact that I am writing this entry three weeks after Folk Week ended and still in Broadstairs may give an idea of my love for this place.

So, time to go home tomorrow?  Well, theoretically yes but I had an offer  from my dear friend to stay in her house as long as I wanted so I shall leave the reader to guess what happened next (although I have already given the answer in the above paragraph).

Stay tuned.

planxty says:
Truth be told, it is not even just this year, it has been happening since I retired. The Phils in 2012 was a case in point. I had booked a flight for five weeks in 2012 and ended up staying over five months. Frankly, with my lack of commitments it is not too difficult to do and it keeps me happy. Igenuinely don't know where I will be next month or even next week and I really don't care. Without wishing to sound too overblown, I suppose this is the life I always dreamed of and it seems to be suiting me.
Posted on: Sep 28, 2017
Toonsarah says:
There's a pattern emerging to your travels this year - go for a short while, end up staying much longer!
Posted on: Sep 28, 2017
planxty says:
Thanks so much Victor. Believe me, there is plenty more to come!
Posted on: Sep 07, 2017