I promised you fireworks so here they are.

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Fireworks at Broadstairs.

Wednesday the 23rd August came and I knew I had already broken my own rather dissolute record of the Tuesday by staying so long after Folk Week but, frankly, I did not care.  On a general level I did not care as I was totally relaxed, sleeping well and even eating occassionally.  I realise that to the reader who may have stumbled upon this page that this may sound like a completely ridiculous statement but, believe me, for me these are big issues.  On a more specific level, I had been invited to the weekly folk session at the Tartar Frigate pub down by the harbour where I know a lot of people (see review on this entry) and just to put the icing on the cake it was also Fireworks Night (the fireworks as promised in the last journal entry).

The day followed the usual routine to which I was becoming utterly accustomed to of up in the morning, cleaned up and out to the Prince Albert for a day of hanging out with my friends and reading the newspaper (they still had not got the wifi sorted after the recent refurbishment) and then home to pick up the guitar and head down the rather steep hill to the "Tart" as it is locally known.

Fireworks at Broadstairs.
  The session was great and had a lot of my dear friends prominent along with some other people I had never played with before but that always keeps you on your toes.  I love trying to play a tune I have never played before on the hoof.

At the appointed hour (2145) a halt was called and we all headed outside to watch the fireworks which go off mostly over the sea but are launched predominantly from Viking Bay, the main beach.  There are usually four displays every summer although they were temporarily curtailed  a few years back due to the complete inability of Kent Police to control a bunch of children who had come to the town to cause trouble despite their disproportionately large and heavy handed presence.  I am glad to see this seems to have stopped and the event is really now very family orientated and well worth a visit as they do put on a really good show.
Fireworks at Broadstairs.
  This website may give an idea.

After the fireworks it was back indoors and "rosin up the bow" for another great session until closing time.  This unexpected trip was just getting better by the day and it was a very happy planxty that dragged his weary bones home to bed.  Sure, I would still have loved to be in Canada roaming round and I was missing it but this was not a bad consolation prize.

Stay tuned.

planxty says:
We had the same thing in Northern Ireland in the 70's and 80's. I suppose that it realistically makes sense but it is a bit disappointing for youngsters.
Posted on: Sep 09, 2017
vicIII says:
We appreciate fireworks here as well... They are prohibited now becuse of the situation...
Posted on: Sep 09, 2017
Broadstairs Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Go and visit a tart!
Readers of this page wil know that I visit Broadstairs every year to play at the excellent Broadstairs Folk Week which celebrated it's 50th anniversar… read entire review
Broadstairs