A poignant but wonderful day.

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Not a bad place to wake up.

The 16th came round and I awoke again in the excellent Royal Albion Hotel (see previous entries for details) knowing I was going to be moving again.  Checking out of my hotel and with a cheery greeting from the receptionist wishing me a good Folk Week I wandered once again with my tiny suitcase and guitar shouldered for the short walk to the George and my lunchtime session with Paul.  Again, I was assailed by questions from friends enquiring where I was staying as I just kept appearing in there dragging this tiny bag round with me.  I'll swear some of my friends were convinced that I had broken into one of the many lovely beach huts in the area and was illegally squatting there.

The 16th is always a bit of a poignant day for me as it was my late Mother's birthday and she would have been 88 on this day but the evil that is cancer took her some years ago.

Gorgeous when it is not raining cats and dogs.
  I remember well that when I started playing at Folk Week I would always go to a particular telephone kiosk in town and call her to wish her a happy birthday.  Regrettably, like my dear Mother, the 'phone box is long gone on the principle that everyone now has mobile 'phones notwithstanding that Broadstairs is notorious for appalling coverage.  When I did get one it used to keep sending me messages saying, "Welcome to Belgium" which was going to cost me a fortune in those days before they regulated roaming charges and so it was instantly turned off so as to avoid a huge bill.  Progress?  I don't think so.

I raised a glass to my dear  late Mother before "kickoff" and I hope she would have been proud because she was the one that always told me to think for myself and do what was right for me and for that I can never thank her (or her memory now) enough.
A very decent troubadour.
  I realise this is all a bit heavy and some may say that is inappropriate for what is a travel site but I am a "one trick pony" and can only write one way which is what I feel.  I suspect that somehow that was another trait my late Mother (an extremely articulate woman) instilled in me and I neither make apology for it nor intend to change.  Yes, I like to write about travels and hopefully write some useful reviews but, as far as I understand it, journal entries here on TravBuddy are supposed to be about your experiences whilst travelling and my experience was as I am expressing it here.

The session was great and the day proceeded in the normal fashion with Paul and I "invading" a bar that was not expecting us and being joined by some friends then back to the Prince Albert for a few (with a better than decent troubadour playing) and then, for some reason I do not quite fathom other than sheer laziness, a microwaved ready meal before my ridiculously comfy bed again.

Stay tuned.

Not a bad place to wake up.
Gorgeous when it is not raining ca…
Gorgeous when it is not raining c…
A very decent troubadour.
I cannot imagine why, but I did it!
I cannot imagine why, but I did it!
Broadstairs