A lucky meet and all sorted.

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Not a bad place to wake up.

The morning of the 15th of August saw me awaking in a place I had wanted to stay in for well over 20 years but had never managed to and which is explained in the last journal entry.  Again, as per the terms of my "artistes AAA" wristband I was going to back my mate Paul and his booked guest at the George pub (see separate tip on this journal entry page) for the playaround and that was no problem as my lovely hotel must be a whole three minutes walk from the gig.

I have to say that it was a bit of a kick when I walked past reception with my guitar case slung and the lady there asked me if I had a gig that lunchtime to which I obviously replied in the affirmative.  She wished me a good gig so I thanked her and walked out into Albion Street feeling a hundred feet tall.

I know I have spoken about it here before and unbdoubtedly will do again but it is difficult for me to explain exactly how much that Festival means to me.

Another fine session in the George.
  The receptionist obviously thought that I must be a proper musician being put up there by the festival and there was me, a mediocre session / pub musician at best feeling like I was Tim Edey or Dougie McClean or somebody like that.  It was such a good feeling and I made the short journey to the gig where I played as well as I have for a long time despite my lack of recent gigs because of my travelling mostly.  I was literally buzzing and I had not even had a drink yet!

I really was back in the groove (to use a terrible old expression), back on playing form, back amongst dear friends, back in a place I love dearly.  Yes, as the title of this journal suggests, planxty was back where he belongs.

The rest of the day followed a fairly predictable pattern with Paul and I heading off for another little session afterthe oficial one and then I took off to the Prince Albert which is arguably my favourite pub in the town although I do have a lot of haunts that I love in Broadstairs.
A very decent duo at Folk Week.
  I knew there would be music on and there was although I shamefully cannot remember the name of the duo playing but they did put on a good show.

At this point I had one night left in the hotel and was realistically looking at going home the next morning.  I had searched the internet but there was really nothing reasonable on offer at the height of the summer season in what is a holiday area.  Yes, I have a lot of friends there but I don't like to ask to crash on their floors although I know they would have happily had me "squatting with them" and so it was a very fortuitous meeting when I bumped into a couple of old friends, one of whom had been my "official" landlady at previous festivals and with whom I get on extremely well.  She asked me where I was playing on the morrow and I said I would be doing the lunchtime session but then I was going to have to head back to London as I didn't have my tent and had nowhere to stay.

Broadstairs is Broadstairs and in the way of these things she would not hear of me going home and insisted (quite forcefully) that I re-occupy my old bed in her spare room, which is incidentally one of the comfiest beds I have ever slept in and I was bid stay as long as I wanted.

I have spoken in other journal entries here on TravBuddy about what I call the "travel gods" and people decry it as a concept but I swear it is as close to a belief system as I have.  This was a totally random meet in a bar when they or I could have easily been in other locations given the variety of entertainment on offer during Folk Week.  Well, that was me sorted for the week (and considerably longer as this journal will eventually explain) so, as they say in Northern Ireland, "The job's a good'un".

I still had another night to stay in my posh hotel which proved to be as comfortable as the first but I knew I was sorted for the week and everything was set fair for a good time and an unscheduled return much as I would have loved to be in Canada.  One very contented planxty off to bed that night.

Stay tuned.

planxty says:
I do seem to have made rather a fixture / nuisance of myself here. When I first played Broadstairs I was just about a young man!
Posted on: Sep 26, 2017
Toonsarah says:
I think you often make your own luck - your years of playing there and making yourself well-known and well-liked around the town paid off with good gigs and a room to stay in :-)
Posted on: Sep 26, 2017