Two prog rock sets in one week?

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Wickerman at the Prince Albert.

The 17th was a Sunday and I was on a bit of a mission.  I have described in a previous journal entry here about hearing two excellent prog rock bands in the George on the Monday night which I found a little odd but very pleasing and I had had a little whisper that there were a pretty heavy prog / classic rock band playing in the Prince Albert in the afternoon.  They have music every Sunday afternoon from 1600 - 1800 but it is mainly of the semi-acoustic type so that certainly sounded like a plan to me.  I was also told that they were "pretty loud" and again, notwithstanding that my hearing is damaged already (high frequency hearing loss in both ears) and I should know better I fancied a bit of it.

I took myself off fairly early and "took up station" on my usual perch at the bar.

Wickerman at the Prince Albert.
  Having played there more than enough times before, including a few weeks previously I knew exactly where they would be setting up.  Bands always play by the window next to the door which put me potentially about six feet from where one of the speakers was going to be and so it proved.  Towards the end of the obligatory Sunday afternoon TV football (soccer) session the band appeared and, although I had been pre-warned it still took me a little aback.  Two pretty large, hairy and bearded guys and a fairly diminutive grey haired lady seemed to comprise the band.  I had had a bit of a heads up so I wasn't too surprised when she slung the bass over her shoulder and they began the soundcheck.

It was immediately obvious that the lady was not just there making up numbers and in light of people like Tina Weymouth and Skin why should that have been the case?  The quality of musicianship throughout the band was superb and made the more impressive when it was announced that it was the drummer's first gig with them and they had not even rehearsed.  Impressive stuff indeed.

The two hour set of rock standards (Stones, Deep Purple etc.) mixed up with a few slightly more obscure prog tracks passed all too soon and they were packing down again.  If you are interested, they are called Wickerman (formerly ASP) and I do really recommend them if you are in the area.  Having had a chat with the guys who were all extremely friendly it was planxty and the usual suspects at the bar until they kicked us out at closing time, home for a bite to eat and to the bed that seemed to be adapting itself increasingly to my contours with every passing day.

Broadstairs