Prog rock on a Monday?

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Flame Pilots on stage.

The fourth of September was a Monday which can often be a fairly "nothing" sort of a day, especially in a smallish town seaside town right at the dog end of the season but, as I have mentioned before, the whole of East Kent really is something of a hotbed of music of all genres and I knew I was not going to go short of something to do.

For me a Monday night in the town means the "Songwriters Den" which is held in the George pub (formerly the Barnaby Rudge) and which is the subject of a review elsewhere in this journal.  Whilst it is usually very much in the singer / songwriter mould, one week a month they go "heavy" which suits me fine.  The only house rule is that covers are not allowed, it must be all original material.

I should mention here that I have nothing against singer / songwriters and the standard in this "club" is very high but a friend of mine had told me tht her husband (who I also know and, like me, is a huge Fish / Marillion fan) was playing in a prog rock band that night and I do like a bit of prog so it was a foregone conclusion where I was going to be that evening.

Flame Pilots on stage.
  After my standard day of a leisurely few pints in the Prince Albert, a read of the paper and a fairly unproductive attempt to get this journal up to date I took myself off the very short walk to the George where the support band called Pandemonium were putting down some very acceptable prog.  The guitarist is worthy of particular note as he was very good.

Ater a very slick kit change by the sole sound man it was time for the main event and my mate's band, the Flame Pilots, certainly did not disappoint.  They have an excellent set of self-penned music although I know that in other gigs they do throw in the odd cover.

Due to licensing laws the evening ended all too early at 2300 at which point we all decamped outside for a smoke.
Flame Pilots on stage.
  As I was "on the firm" I was introduced around as a folk muso who knew my prog and the guys from both bands could not have been friendlier.  In the way of musos everywhere the conversation almost immediately turned to kit, road stories, gig disaster stories and all the things we chat about.  In itself that was good enough for me but it was the complete acceptance by some pretty tasty players that pleased me the most and it was a very content planxty that took himself the long haul (at least 150 yards!) to a quick supper and a comfy bed.  This trip was just getting better and better.

Stay tuned.