Let it rain.

Broadstairs Travel Blog

Broadstairs "monsoon".

The days trickled on as they tend to do when I get "bedded in" somewhere and I was thoroughly enjoying myself in my routine as described in the last journal entry bathed in some glorious sunshine but I knew it couldn't last.

Ridiculous as it sounds, Broadstairs has a "micro-climate" as was explained to me by my dear friend Pete some time ago.  Pete was a merchant seaman of many years standing and knows about weather matters.  I am not sure if I have got this exactly correct but it is something to do with the North Sea and the Channel meeting just off Broadstairs.  As they are both at different temperatures this leads to meteorological anomolies.  Add into the mix that Broadstairs is effectively a "bowl" and you have a recipe for all sorts of nonsense on the weather front.

Broadstairs "monsoon".
  I have literally been in towns no more than ten miles away enjoying a beautiful sunny day and then on returning to Broadstairs I was in the middle of a tropical storm.  Obviously the reverse applies as well.  None of my many friends in town ever even looks at or listens to the weather forecast as it is inevitably wrong.  They just look out the window and they know what is going to happen.  Believe me, they are seldom wrong.

On 31st August I had taken off to the pub on a lovely summer's day and by 1600 or so I was looking out the window at a rainstorm that would not have disgraced South or Southeast Asia.  The rain was literally bouncing off the road.  If I can work out how to do it I shall post a short video clip as well as the images which I hope give some sense of the weather that day.  OK, it is still Broadstairs and I have seen worse there but I'd much rather be here when it is shining!

Broadstairs