Venice to Meyreuil

Venice Travel Blog

492 miles

This has been my favourite day so far. We were going to call into Monaco on the way to the hotel in France.

The countryside and scenery in Italy is beautiful and so far the most interesting. The old towns and villages were great. Then we had the twisty mountain road down towards Gerona near the Mediterranean coast. The views were breathtaking. Along the coast then and then to my mecca of formula 1. The drive down to the centre of Monaco was so tight and twisty our jeep struggled to get round the corner. Finally into the centre and it was brilliant. Like being 10 years old again. I drove through the famous tunnel where Nigel mansell made the best manoeuvre ever on Gerhard Berger. I tried to copy it but old Mitsubishi was a little bit slower than his car. The tunnel opens out to the harbour complex where the yachts were just so big it was hard to believe anybody could actually afford them. Some were larger than war ships. The place was so clean and the buses were shinier than any car I have ever owned! You could almost smell the money.

Our friend Hans in the other jeep was struck by a deep sense of irony, that here we were with 2 vehicles full of second hand clothes, toys and other donations right in the middle of one of the richest piece of land on earth. In 10 days time we will be in the worlds 4th poorest country.

We left Monaco and took a drive along the French Riviera to our hotel in Meyruil in France. A very basic awful hotel that is not even worth talking about. A chance to meet with some of the other teams and discuss each others knocks rattles and leaks. I’m talking about the cars not us!!.

photo by: asturjimmy