Nouadhibou. Beach Party

Nouadhibou Travel Blog

my view when waking up on the beach

Nouadhibou beach to Nouakchott beach.
Daily miles 224

Yet another crazy day. Im sure that as the trip goes on, it is getting madder and madder.
This morning when I woke up I opened the zip of my tent and the view I had was straight onto the beach. This is the way to relax. It would not last long. I was expecting a real fun day of driving along the beach to another bay where there would be a party.
The route was through a national park of amazing sand dunes and scenery. I really wanted to drive this but as we approached the turn off I had second thoughts; there was a huge sand storm blowing and between ourselves and hans we didnt have good enough sand ladders for the soft sand in the dunes.

After talking with Steve we decided to take the main road to a fishing village down the coast and then drive on the beach back along the coast to the beach party. It was only a drive of just over 200km, so would be a nice easy day. Or so i thought.
The road book told us that the turn off from the main road to the beach would be suitable for 2 wheel drive cars.  It reallt wasn't.  Very bumpy with big pot holes and humps of sand where it had blown over the road.
When we reached the fishing village it was chaos. Kids everywhere and all you could hear was, cadeax cadeax, (gift).
There was a stretch of very soft sand between the end of the road and the beach, about 50 metres; I had to keep the speed up and dont stop what ever. This was a little nerve wracking with all the kids around but we made it to the harder strip of sand between the water and main soft beach.
early morning on the beach
There is a thin strip that you have to stay on so you dont sink. Either side of this line and it could be big trouble. There was also only a window of driving between 1pm and 4 before high tide. We set off along the beach and it was great driving;
After a few kilometres I could not believe what I was seeing. Up ahead was the peugout 406 of a couple of scottish guys, Andy and Ross.  They were stuck deep in sand. What on earth where they thinking. We couldn't just drive by. It was getting late and if we left their car where it was it would have been washed away into the Atlantic.
And this is where my relaxing day all went crazy, again!!
We attached a towing hook to the car but as Andy the driver could not find the correct place to attach it, he just clipped it to the lower part of the cars body work.
I didn't have time to check this as I was more concerned about getting them high up the beach and getting on our way. Well, we pulled them clear of the sea but when we looked at the car we had ripped the lower structure of the car apart. It was not pretty. This in itself would not have been a problem  but in the process the radiator had been damaged and all the water had poured out. Right now was not the time to worry about that though. We got Andy and Ross to collect all of their valubles from the car and I took Ross and a Hungarian team took Andy. The idea was to get to the beach rendevous and enjoy a relaxing evening. I was amazed to see Ross sauntering over with his football in hand. Not what I would call a essential when we were in a race against the tide!!
We set off as fast as possible along the coastline.
We were told the camp was about 8 to 10 km away. The tide wa scoming in and I was a bit nervous as the strip of sand was getting more and more narrow. We must have driven well over 10 km and still no sign. Our friend Kristian was trying to guide us in by cb radio but we kept loosing signal. By this time we were dodging the tide and driving through the surf a lot. I decided it was too dangerous to continue and we turned around to make it back the main road and we would drive direct to Nouackchott. Half way back along the beach we came across another team in a Toyota Hi Ace. They were stuck in the sand on the shore line. Once again we could not leave them. We all jumped out of our jeep and with the aid of sand laddeers managed to free them and get them up the beach. By this time the tide was really high and myself and the other driver decided enough was enough.
Big Hans waking up.
We would make camp and wait for low tide the following day. I am not risking losing the jeep to the Atlantic ocean.  It turned out to be a really chilled out and peaceful evening. We had to move the cars and our camp twice as we underestimated how high the tide would come in.
It turned out the two Hungarians we were camping with were doctors and they diagnosed Steve with a colon infection and not food poisoning. They gave him antibiotics which he was extremly grateful for as he was still having to do the 100metre dash over a dune every half hour. As we go to bed there is a very strong sand storm blowing up. My tent blew away lifting the pegs clean out and I have had to weigh the inside down with my bags.
Who knows what it will be like in the morning.  Im just glad to get to bed after one hell of a day.
We keep getting ourselves into these situations but cant just drive past people in need of help. It might be us tomorrow!

ted332 says:
great blog entry!
Posted on: Feb 09, 2008
FlyDolphin says:
My oh my, what a crazy trip you have had! And good on you for helping the others (though a hassle for yourself). I bet though when you look back at it it will be so entertaining for you to tell. Certainly is interesting reading! Take care and keep it coming!!!
Posted on: Feb 01, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
What a relaxing day ;) Nice of you to give aid to other drivers, and lucky for Steve he got help to. Driv careful
Posted on: Jan 31, 2008
Driving throught the sandstorm
Driving throught the sandstorm
Typical sight along the roads in M…
Typical sight along the roads in …
Gabor and Kristian
Gabor and Kristian
setting off along the beach
setting off along the beach
rising tide
rising tide
Stuck doctors in their toyota hi a…
Stuck doctors in their toyota hi …
Time to stop and camp
Time to stop and camp
camping on the beach after being s…
camping on the beach after being …
Nouadhibou