Budapest - Bamako Great Africa Run

Weymouth Travel Blog

A brief video from the organisers

I cant believe I have just signed up for this!!!  This is an amazing race/touring event that runs from Budapest through Austria, Germany, Italy, France and Spain. Then across the med into Morocco, Western Sahara Region, Mauritania and finally to Bamako, the capital of Mali.

This was set up 3 years ago by some crazy Hungarians as a cheap alternative to the Paris Dakar race.  There will be teams leaving from London and maybe Bratislava.  The event is covered by the Travel Channel and last years race is currently being shown on tv.

It covers a distance of approximately 8000km in 15 days.  Plus we will be driving from Stavanger to Budapest a few days before the start so we can set off with the main convoy.  We will leave Stavanger on 6th January 2008, arriving Budapest a few days before the start.  The race then starts on january 13th.  We should be in Bamako on 27th January.  On the 28th we will attend the opening ceremony of the new well.

Each team will be designated a village in Africa where it is required to deliver medical supplies, toys and childrens clothes and educational aids.  The overall goal is to pay for a new freshwater well in Bamako.

We will be buying a cheap jeep and either selling it in Bamako, or if we raise enough sponsorship, will give it to a local charity.  Whatever happens we will be flying home!

Since joining this site I have been trying to work out what trips I could do. When a work colleague suggested this I just had to go for it.  It will be a trip of a lifetime.  We are self employed and don't earn anything when not working.  We  will have to pay for all donations and travel costs ourselves, including purchasing the jeep.  I cant afford it but sometimes in life an opportunity comes along that you cant afford not to do.

I will try and record our progress through the planning stages and race on this blog.

For further Information you can visit the event website.   www.budapestbamako.org

nyprne says:
This sounds like so much fun. Congratulations on having your quest and blog featured.
monky says:
Congratulations on your featured blog!
ccjbeachbum says: