Adelaide

Adelaide Travel Blog

North Terrace

purpose. We had two nights there and chose to do a tour to Kangaroo island on that one full day. All that remained for the city itself were the evening of arrival, when we went for a quick walk and had dinner (I don’t even remember where), and the major part of our day of departure.

Our hotel was in the north-western part of the centre, not far from Light Square (Hindley Street? Somewhere in that area). From the map, Google streetview and my photos, I’d say it must have been the Rockford.

In the evening we walked along Hindley Street towards Rundle Mall, where we met some funny pigs.

The Indian Pacific departed rather late in the evening, so we had almost the full day to play with. As usual, I was the more active among the two of us, and kept walking at midday while F preferred a rest. It was a bright sunny but (to me) boiling hot day with temperatures of 35°C, through.

View from our hotel room towards Light Square
So I was soon down and out.

Then I spotted the South Australia Museum, and thought, well, this might be interesting, and it will for sure be a nice, cool, air-conditioned place to spend this afternoon… I went in and did not regret it! It’s a museum of natural history with various permanent exhibitions on all aspects of natural and cultural heritage of South Australia.

I highly recommend it, and not only to escape the heat. More on the museum’s website: http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au

Among the many exhibits I saw, one remained in my memory as the most striking: the display of opalised fossils. Beautiful and amazing.

Then it was time to pick up our luggage and prepare for departure. The hotel had stored our bags and allowed us a quick dip into their rooftop pool in the afternoon, although we had already checked out in the morning. Nicely refreshed, we took a taxi to the train station for our big rail adventure…

North Terrace
View from our hotel room towards L…
View from our hotel room towards …
Pigs in Rundle Mall