We wanted to see the five windmills

Schiedam Travel Blog

One of the windmill

I didn't know what to expect here as I haven't found things to do. After doing a lot of reseach I found out there are six windmills in town so, I check Schiedam in the list. Schiedam is a small town, no need a full day to stroll around. Thus, on our way to Rotterdam we stopped in Schiedam

First thing we need is a parking, although visiting in town on a sunday, the street parking were occupied - so we drove to a parking garage. Parking is cheap in Schiedam, the first one hour is free and if exceed, price every 30 minutes is only 50 cents. How wonderful to see a parking like this in Netherlands. Below the parking is a big supermarket of Albert Heijn, so the parking garage is mostly use for people who does a grocery.

From the parking we had a short walk to Schiedam Schie - a long small canal where a reflection of houses can be admired.

Taken from the harbor
 Same as other towns in South Holland, Schiedam is easy to explore on foot. Is not a tourist destination I guess, but I'm glad we stopped and take time to stroll. Is so quiet here, or maybe because is sunday I don't know. It didn't bother me at all without seen anyone.

As we have no map, we studied google maps before coming there but after a short walk we found a board map. The map shown the five windmills in town while on my research they say there are six. Apparently one of the windmill is destroyed, nowadays there are only five left. The windmills are not close to each other we only see four of them.

On our way back we walk along the harbor Lange haven, a picturesque walk where you have view of few monuments, and double iron bridge. I never seen so much house boats - Schiedam's harbor is full with these boats.

De Drie Koornbloeme