The Olde Homestead

Londonderry Travel Blog

The Olde Homestead 1969

I grew up in Londonderry  from the time I was about 5 or 6 years old, when my parents moved here from Massachusetts in 1969 (See my blog entries: New Beginnings 1969 and Little House in the Big Woods 1971 in my USA - Yesterday to Today blog). Though I have lived in Virginia for many years now, whenever I visited New England this is the place I usually stay. I visited more often when my Mom was still alive, for holidays and such, but less so since she passed away in 2007. My stepfather David continues to live here and always nice to visit with him when I come up, and my last visit was in 2014.

The Olde Homestead 2017
The room I stay in was actually the room I had when I was young, and though it doesn’t look like my old room, the space reminds me of when I was a boy and I often dream of my younger days when I stay here. The house itself has gone through some changes over the years and I have some photos I will pull together to show here. Tong and I stayed here for a couple days during our visit in New England, and while we had some time to converse with David, we were also out and about visiting others also. One morning Tong and I had a walk around the neighborhood, and it hasn’t changed all that much over the years. This or that house looks a bit different, the woods look more overgrown, but basically it is very much the same as the stomping grounds of my youth. It always makes me a little nostalgic to have a walk around the neighborhood, recalling which friends lived where, the games we played in the streets and the secret hideouts we had here and there.
Tong, David, Jennifer, Brian
There is something invigorating in reminiscing on my boyhood, and though I do it sometimes, there is nothing quite like being back in the place where it unfolded to bring back memories of a different ‘Me’ in a different time. It’s the same ‘Me’ I know, but a different ‘Me’ at the same time if that makes any sense. It was enjoyable to spend the time here, see the Olde Homestead, talk with David and reminisce a little. It was also nice to share it with Tong, and this was the first time for her in visiting up in New England. We will have other opportunities to spend more time, but this New England road trip was primarily to deliver the car for Jennifer, make the rounds with a visit to as many as we could, and try to get back home before the July 4th holiday.

spocklogic says:
This was the place my parents moved to when I was a young boy around 6 years old in 1969, so always brings back many memories when I return for a visit here. I have some earlier memories from growing up in Somerville near Boston, but those from this place are the more forming ones. A good place for a boy to grow up in and my father wanted us to have a country upbringing rather than the city one he had.
Posted on: Oct 01, 2017
Caliber-A says:
wow, this reminds you of your younger days.
Posted on: Oct 01, 2017
Upgrade in 2014
Upgrade in 2014
Londonderry Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nostalgic Greasy Spoon Diner
There has been a diner at this spot as long as I can remember, and back in the day it was called Ted's Diner. A bit of a tin can looking place for che… read entire review
Londonderry