Visiting a friend in Cork

Cork Travel Blog

Graffiti in Cork

I don't know why it took me 37 years to cross the Irish Sea and visit the Republic of Ireland, but it did. Cork isn't exactly the first place you'd think of as a stop on the way to Tbilisi, but as one of my former colleagues had moved there to teach at the university, and I found a direct flight from Glasgow to Cork and an idea of onward flights from Dublin to many places, it seemed like Ireland's time had finally come.

My friend met me at the bus station, and after dumping my bags in her flat, she thought it best to indroduce me to a pint or two of Cork's finest...not Guinness, but Beamish. I'm a big fan of dark beer, and used to drink Guinness a lot as a student, but Beamish seemed to be just as good if not better.

Cork from St Anne's belltower
Maybe it was more to do with the pubs? Walking down the hill into the centre, nearly every pub offered live music, so we stopped in one where an impromptu band was playing in the back room...a couple of violins, a guitar, a few singers who drifted in and out, a mix of traditional and modern, and lots of Beamish being gulped down.

The following day, we walked and walked and walked. Firstly, we headed over to her place of work, the University of Cork, then over to the Shandon quarter, where we climbed the belltower of St Anne's church. Anyone can have a go at ringing the bells, and there are numbered instructions to play a handful of "suitable" tunes. As everyone was playing the same thing over and over, we did consider giving the neighbourhood a treat and having a go at "Like a Virgin", but we put our naughty streaks to one side and bashed out Amazing Grace for the umpteenth time that day.

Titanic mural in Cork
Climbing up the tower past the bells, you need to wear ear protection for the last two floors. After admiring the views, we were ready to make our way back down, but fell in behind two elderly ladies. One of them said that she wasn't going to put her ear protectors on, she'd chance it as it can't be that loud. Just as she entered the stairs...dong, dong, dong...and she exclaimed very loudly, "oh sh*t!", which made our day.

To be honest, I can't remember details of what we did next. It might have been something cultural, and I think we did look in on the English Market at some point, but I do know we stopped for some more Beamish. It's only a month ago, but it's been an action packed month since, so I'm a bit hazy with the details. What I do know is that I liked the graffiti, especially the street that has been covered wall to wall in very bright stuff. I also loved the painted electrical boxes everywhere, giving a welcome to Cork in many different languages, always with a bit of humour.

Anyway, Cork...I liked it, and I'm sure I'll be back.

planxty says:
It is not often we disagree about anything but I still prefer Guniiness to Beamish!
maykal says:
Oh no! Why is it featured? I've hardly started!
HORSCHECK says:
Congrats on your featured blog. Interesting to read that it took you soo long to visit Ireland. I am off to the country and especially Northern-Ireland tomorrow, but my first trip was back in 1995.
Cork from St Annes belltower
Cork from St Anne's belltower
Cork
Not entirely sure which church thi…
Not entirely sure which church th…
Cork from the top of the belltower
Cork from the top of the belltower
Old advertising on a Cork building
Old advertising on a Cork building
Cork
View from my friends flat
View from my friend's flat
photo by: sarah_82