Return to Cape Town

Cape Town Travel Blog

I have just returned to Cape Town from living in the UK for 8.5 years. I am going to give SA a real go and see how life is and if its the place for me or not.

I forgot how crazy it is flying into Cape Town Int, over all the shanty towns that go on and on. The air was warm and comforting. I always feel so free once I land here in this beautiful country. The roads are spacious, the land is large and the sky is vast and blue! My first few days here are to relax and enjoy my parents company and being at home again. The last time I actually lived at home was in 1997, with the odd holiday occasions till now.   Ive obviously hit the beach a few times already and that is awesome. Although the high shark alert flag was up at Fish Hoek beach so didnt swim out too far there. Norrdhoek beach is always stunning and great for the dogs and long jogs.

I am so surprised at the cost of things here. Clothes are so expensive, food is pretty expensive, petrol is ok but cars are expensive, you have to pay parking attendants everywhere, labour is expensive....hmmm on this front England seems a lot cheaper.  I then went to see what opening up a bank account entailed - I could not believe they charge you a monthly fee just for having a bank account! Then on top of that they charge you everytime you draw cash or use your card wherever you are! Thats rediculous and cruel! How do people who dont earn much survive in this country? Now I dont feel like opening up an account because we never get charged in the UK....but I am going to have to bite the bullet and surrender to a bank.

Cape Town