Best evening in Manila so far!

Manila Travel Blog

Cuffs designed by my ladies

So its Friday today and its been a long but great day! Off to office (1hr) first thing to collect materials for both classes. I had to take the oldies and the newies as Joanne was staying at the office to sort out stock for tomorrows bizzare at World trade Centre.  So long travel journey (1.15hr) and finally reached Cemetery, after having a moan at a Filipino women after her kid through his litter out the jeepney! And there is a bin inside! Later on her second kid tried but she moaned at him and he put it in the bin....aahhh mission accomplished!

At the studio got set up with the glass pendants upstairs and then new earring designs downstairs. Man it was hard juggling between the two classes. Running upstairs to the new class - who seemed to call for help all the time.

Happy family!
..then rushing down to check my class and their work.....then hearing my name being called and rushing upstairs, then rushing downstairs again - great exercise, but so tiring especially in the heat. I keep getting bitten my mosquitos even when I paste myself with cream and spray....they just cant get enough of that English blood! So guys pray for my health! Upstairs ended early so I could concentrate on my class. They learnt quite a bit today, and worked hard again. Their cuffs they made were fantastic and I bet would sell like hotcakes in UK. WE'll have to test that out. I am on my feet most of the afternoon because if I sat in a chair I would have to keep getting up as there is no space to get around me. Back is sooo sore. After work I missioned back to the office (1hr.
View from entrance
15) to drop off jewellery and wait for Jo.  Off to Mandaluyong City.....to be continued - being kicked out of internet cafe!

So after a jeepney and tricycle ride we ended up on a very busy street with market stalls all along the sides. So much hussle and bussle. Now people were seriously staring at me!  So we walked down some steps still with stalls around us, through a passageway trying to dodge all the people coming past..till we got to the top and a street going across. A pedestrian street, where there were loads of people on the streets, kids playing, venders selling their goods, some barbeques going, men outside watching TV, lots of stuff going on.

Jo and her kids in the market
We headed right and there it was...Joanne's house. When we walked in through no door, it was a small area, which I though was the outside area and the rest attached behind it....but that was it. WOW! So small for 8 of them. I was so pleased she wanted me over and felt very priviledged. On either side are walls and the roof, some pieces of wood, corregated iron and sheeting.....I think. Gaps still to the outside. The floor was just sand and seemed wet in some places. They have an oven by the entrance, and the wash room was in the corner. They have been using their cousins...who is just around the corner. If they use their corner they just let the rain wash it away...sometimes. No privacy at all for any of them.

So I met her mom and her son . He came in for milk! She says she going to breastfeed until he doesnt want it anymore.

Boys will be boys
..good luck to her...he is already 2 and a half! There was a very good feeling when sitting in her house. It felt warm and inviting. They had a few candles burning, for light. Everynight when sleeping they would put their mosquito nets around themselves. Mission. So we decided to pop to the market for some chicken for dinner. Little Nicole (her daughter) spotted us, she latched on to me....she likes me. So at the market we chose our chicken....it stands out on the counters and everyone seems to touch everything.....I mean what about salmonella? They dont seem to fussed. Yikes! So I didnt either. Back home, her mom started cooking so we went outside into the street to meet her friends. They were cool. Fed me some fruit, dont ask me the names of them.....then loads of kids just stood around staring.
Dinner in Jo's house
I felt like I was another species from another planet. Then Gemma's little daughter, kept rubbing and touching my arms and hands, then some of the other girls did too. Nicole and her friend did a dance for us, and a little one tried to as well. So cute! Its funny to my one side were about 8 young boys....when I say hello to them they suddenly disperse...then come back again, so I say Kumusta? And they get all shy. But wowe, when my camera came out then they got some attitude and confidence! Hilarious. ;-) So I met some more of Joanne's family, loads of cousins.

Her mom called us in for dinner. I was starving. Inside she had set the 'table', which at night is a bed for 5, and we ate the most delicious chicken and rice in the candlelight. Jo ate with her hands, she says it tastes better and is easier, I used my spoon.

Serious
Nicola joined us. Her sauce consisted of soy sauce and vinegar...so good. After food, her two friends Gemma and Joy joined us for a bit. They are all so lovely. Jo's mom kept coming in to check all was good, she is a great host!  WE took some DIYs....I love my DIYs. WE laughed so much at the one of us trying to be serious! You know, even when you cant understand eachothers language, you can still have a very special bond and have fun together.....no matter where you have come from, what you do, what your circumstances are.....when you look past that, into ones heart and soul, we are all the same.....we are all so beautiful.

It was time for me to leave, I felt so comfortable there, I didnt really want to. So said my goodbyes.....got a lovely kiss from Nicole and caught a taxi home. I felt warm and happy inside. ;-) So ended a perfect evening, with such amazing people.

planisphere says:
kudos to you! :)
Posted on: Sep 30, 2007
elsiesteel says:
Amazing experiences Lau - we've loved reading all about it. Thanks for all the detail and photo's. Love you so much!
Posted on: Sep 23, 2007
ard168 says:
Wow! What an adventure you were up to lately. Honestly, I really admire you...Salute to you!!!
Posted on: Sep 23, 2007
Dinner in Jos house
Dinner in Jo's house
Serious
Not so serious - Jo, Joy, Gemma an…
Not so serious - Jo, Joy, Gemma a…
View from bunkbed