First few days in Manila

Manila Travel Blog

Lunch in Hong Kong...yum yum
I finally arrived in Manila at 10pm Tuesday 4 September, with a warm welcome from a Filipino band playing just as we got out the plane. The heat hit me hard so I jumped into a nice air conditioned taxi and headed to Midland Plaza. My taxi driver, Serio, was very friendly and gave me the lo down of the city. Man but the drivers seem to drive wherever they like and hoot every second! At the apartment I had my bags carried for me and had another warm welcome from Ellen and her husband Rich, who were waiting at my apartment. Ellen is currently in charge of the jewellery project. They were so kind to me and chatted for ages and Rich bought me a few goodies I needed, the ice cream went down very well ;-) Went to slepp about 1.
Warm welcome at Manila International
30am, in my rickety and concaved bunk bed!

Woke up to a hot sunny day. Headed to the corner shop to buy a phone card, got a lot of looks! Boiling boiling outside. Ellen and her daughter picked me up in a taxi and we all headed to Navotas, to the cemetry to meet the ladies. The area was getting worse and worse, polution appauling, kids crossing the roads wherever they could, street sellers below their shack houses, tricycles and jeepneys all over the show. Eventually arrived near the cemetry. Rds very narrow, people everywhere, dirt, grime, then water started filling the rd. We drove through practically knee high diseased manky black water, which flows through the streets daily from the sea! How do people live like this? Ended up literally in the cemetry. Now the cemetry is where there are coffins stacked ontop of eachother.
View from my apartment
  We got out, the stench was unbearable. Walk through little dark allyways, with stray manky animals, rubbish everywhere, passing tiny dark holes where families lived, with babies in hammock from the ceiling, stagnant water on the ground......horrible horrible. I kept my head down and followed Ellen. I have never seen or imagined anything like it!

In a little room in the middle of all of this where the ladies busy in their class, led by Joanne (26 year old Filipino employed by PCF) Everyone was friendly and chatty and seemed like a lot of fun. They were busy making a jewellery order for a UK buyer. I dished out their tools, they love them, and just watched for a bit. So hot in the room. Had some lunch make for us - rice, beans and chicken liver...I passed on the liver.
On route to the cemetry
Joanne asked if I wanted to go back to the office with her. So we missioned back with Lehn covering me with an umbrella. Jumped into a jeepney - cool experience. You do get all the fumes in your face though, but its fun anyway. Then into a bus, trying not to get hit by the traffic - they dont stop at paddentrian crossings - dont know why they even have those. Had a few bugs joining me on my seat. Then walked some more, jumped on another jeepney then another. They all are named. At the office met loads of lovely employees, and then had a look at the stock. Joanne is so good to me, everyone here treat me so well. Then left at about 6pm, Olivia and Owen came with me on the train home. Trains packed, worse that underground rush hr, and 30 degrees hotter! Back in ermita, grabbed some groceries and headed home.
Worked on jewellery and got to bed at 1am, woke up a few times with the sound of very bad singers at the kareoke club.

Today, set off to the office. Easy to get to but about 1hr away. Boiling hot again. Stopped off at Starbucks on route, met a Californian - love them- then spent the day with Joanne sorting out the stock. WEnt to buy some stuff in the mall, and met up with Jane at her apartment. Got lots of exhibitions and orders coming up - so lots of work for the ladies. Time to go home and chill.

darlingwish says:
ahhh so many things i dont like at my home country, the philippines but still i love it and i wanna go back home now! ^^
Posted on: Feb 29, 2008
Lunch in Hong Kong...yum yum
Warm welcome at Manila Internation…
Warm welcome at Manila Internatio…
All the lovely ladies at work