Whisked off to Cape Schanck

Cape Schanck Travel Blog

Me trying to slide down a rock

Finally we pulled into Melbourne around 10am and after a brief stop at the house to drop foodstuffs off, we were whisked away to our host's family house on the Mornington Peninsula. He had been invited with his brother and sister to come for the weekend, but when he said he couldn't come because we were arriving, they immediately suggested he invite us too, so Zoe and I, Ant, his house mate Samara, and their neighbour Jason all jumped in the car and drove down to arrive for lunch around midday. After a short lunch we set off to the Bushranger's beach for the afternoon. This involved a 2.6km walk through the bush to arrive at a secluded beach with no more than 10 people on it.

Chasing kangaroos
After our long walk we dumped the towels and beer and raced into the icy water, where we floated and bobbed cooling off for ages; the boys body-surfing in the waves and me haring around trying to avoid translucent jelly fish that turned out to be the refraction of light from my sunglasses.....

After a couple of hours of shenanigans involving seaweed fights, eating kelp and 'sea grapes' and doing somersaults and cartwheels in the sand, we walked round the beach to the rocky outcrop at the edge of the bay where we hunted for blue starfish before climbing the basalt steps to the top to look over the bay. We watched the sun dipping for a while before starting to walk the long walk back where we had ben instructed to look for kangaroos at dusk. I have been most put out that in 3 months in Australia I have not seen ANY australian wildlife; no possums, echidnas, kangaroos, wallabys, koalas, NOTHING.

Samara, Ant, Zoe, me and Jason
So when we saw a few 'roos on the path ahead of us, I was sent ahead in bare feet to capture the elusive and quick-bouncing animals on camera. A task with which I had limited success. After several attempts Jason attempted to approach two flighty kangaroos by holding a fern branch to his head as camouflage and edging towards them in his bright orange board shorts and red croc shoes. Unbelievably, he had excellent success at this!

As we walked back we realised the beautiful pinks and oranges that were stealing across the sky would have been spectaular from our beach, and it struck us that we should race to the car and drive to a look-out to catch the sunset. Suddenly our meanderings took on a new pace and we hurried back to the car, racing against time and light to arrive just in time to catch the sun disappearing on the horizon.

Bushrangers Beach
We clattered up to the couples resting quietly against the fence, looking out misty-eyed and smiling shyly at one another, shouting and laughing, jostling for a view and requesting them to take photos of us. Thankfully they took us in good humour and we clattered off happily.

Then there was the final race home as we realised with dismay that we were supposed to be home for a family barbecue and had only just realised that it was quarter to 9 and we were probably expected home hours ago. We clattered in, shame-faced and apologetically at first, and then jubilantly with tales of kangaroos and sunsets. The barbecue was on, the long table set for 11, and we ate and drank at a darkly lit table in the garden, before finally retiring exhausted from our long train journey and adventures on the Morninton Peninsula.

Zoe, Jason, Samara, me