Western Exposure, Bunbury, Bussleton, Margaret River and Augusta

Margaret River Travel Blog

Bussleton Jetty (2km)

6am start this morning, hung over and exhausted from so little sleep the past few weeks, to join a 5 day tour of the south west coast. I'd wanted to hitch a ride again round the coast towards Adelaide, but with so little time left and just wanting an easy life after all the hassles of the past few weeks I booked on a tour bus. Some people hate them, but I like the convenience sometimes...

Anyway, I was knackered, so pretty antisocial the first couple of hours till I caught up on some zzzzs before our arrival at Bunbury Dolphin Exploration Centre. The driver wasn't vastly impressed with this stop, and made it clear he thought it a waste of time. In all his visits here he'd never seen a dolphin, so he urged us to feedback negatively.

Bussleton Beach
It was a weak start and we were all less than enthused, though I did learn something at least; dolphin mothers push their babies around on their heads for the first 5-8 days, which in a river mouth like Bunbury was pretty hard as it's a popular waterway. We didn't see dolphins, though they had been sighted plenty in recent days, but I suppose that's the problem with wild animals; you can't count on them to show...

Next stop at Bussleton, a pretty beach town with the longest jetty in the southern hemisphere at 2km. We had lunch here by the crystal clear water, and wandered up to the information centre to see the history of the jetty. It was in use until Bunbury took over as the main port and the jetty fell into disrepair. It was mended and a train ran the length of it ferrying tourists up and down but now tourists simply walked to the 7 storey underwater aquarium at the end.

Yallingup Caves
I was sad not to be able to see this, and will be urging Western Exposure to go here instead!

The afternoon we were meant to go to a winery in Margaret River but the wineries have clocked that all the bacpacker tours drink loads and never buy anything and grouped together to request a visiting fee from all the tours. So instead our driver took us to the Bushwack Brewery which is a tiny microbrewery nearby that sells unusual flavoured beers and wines. I managed to get down a chocolate dark beer, and a chilli and a strawberry amber beer before it was time to move on quickly to the Margaret River Chocolate Shop before it closed. They haven't quite cottoned on to the low ratio of samplers to buyers yet, or if they have they haven't put a stop to it, so we munched on chocolate and made a dash for it.

Bushwack Brewery

We stayed in Augusta tonight, a windy little hostel on top of a hill overlooking the water. Here was the coldest I have been since Auckland and easily the coldest I've been in Australia, so I was glad I brought my whole set of clothes, while other girls brought only a light backpack with small skirts and dresses! We barbecued all together and ate in the dining room before spending a bit more time getting to know each other. Being the biggest tour group I've had at 24 people, it's pretty hard to get to know people and remember everyone's names. Additionally it's probably the group with the least collective charisma so 4 days may be a struggle! But still, I had a nice time chatting to Daniella and Olaf.

Margaret River