Tongariro Crossing

Tongariro Travel Blog

Today we were all up early to get the group to the base of the volcano for the Tongariro Crossing; an 18.5km walk up, across and down the volcano, a walk that takes 6-8 hours through sun, rain and snow. I had decided to opt out of this walk on the basis that the excursions we have done have been so full on and perhaps I am started to accept that I am a bit more of a princess than I like to think after discovering how gruelling even tame-rated excursions are. I was told the first 2 km were virtually straight up and the challenge more a mental obstacle to overcome. I decided that it was too costly to kit myself out with all the necessary hiking kit and that I would probably regret starting the hike after 2 hours and still have 5 hours to contend with.

So I waved goodbye to them all and returned to our super sexy alpine-style hostel, fitted out with dark wood, spa pool, chocolate sofas, cool music, great food and bar. In fact, I entertained myself most of the day by doing the most difficult jigsaw puzzle ever whilst periodically turning round to the stunning, panoramic, alpine vista of snow-capped mountains behind me, just to remind me, as I do frequently, that I am on the other side of the world in a country I always dreamed of visiting.

When they returned I was mildly annoyed that the walk was no where near as difficult as had been described to me, and that I could have taken it very easily. But I'm not too worried since I will visit White Island later in the trip, and I can maybe come back again anyway since I plan to repeat some of my ticket. We all enjoyed some great food in the bar, watched the skydive DVDs and then settled down to watch Whale Rider, a story based on a Maori tribe on the east cape of the North Island. I have seen thisfilm before but it is so much more pertinent after seeing the Maori cultural experience and the film was so much more beautiful.

photo by: annthansten