Starting the North Island again! Auckland to Hahei

Hahei Travel Blog

View from the hill

Today I joined a new bus of people and headed off to re-start my ticket. I missed a few things the first time around because of time constraints and I have just enough time to do the north island again plus the East Coast Pass for 3 days. That will mean the only part of New Zealand I miss will be the Bay of Islands in the far north, and Napier, an art deco town on the north island.

It is getting on to summer so the buses are more crowded so we had far more people this time so it is harder to make friends. We started with the intro meeting on Mount Eden again, but today our new driver did much more little stop-offs to see random things than my previous bus driver had so it already was quite a different experience. We stopped first for a walk up a hill in Tairua for the view, and then for a photo opportunity at the Kauri scenic reserve, and to hug a Kauri tree which is supposedly lucky (yes mum, I hugged a tree today!). We also stopped off...

At Hahei everybody dispersed to do their kayaking and walking etc while I just went to lie down on the beach with a book. Back at the hostel our driver was putting on a typical Kiwi barbecue for us so we ate well with sausages, steak, chicken, salad, fried veg, banana cake and ice cream. I enjoyed an early night for what feels like the first time in ages!

Our bus at the Kauri scenic reserve
Our bus at the Kauri scenic reserve
Hugging a Kauri tree for luck!
Hugging a Kauri tree for luck!
View over my book at Hahei beach