Rush to Cairns

Cairns Travel Blog

I woke at 6am after a long sleep and got out of bed to quietly potter about. As I was sorting through my stuff it occurred to me that I only had 2 days left before I was flying out of Cairns and I had not yet seen Cape Tribulation up there nor arranged travel 9hrs there. I looked at some notes I'd made and realised there was one bus leaving in 2 hours that would get me there meaning I could catch a day excursion to CT the following day. When Megha woke I ran the plan past her but she felt it was too rushed and wasn't keen on going so far north when her plan while I was in New Zealand was to head south to Byron Bay anyway. So we deliberated over breakfast and as we walked back to the hostel I saw the courtesy bus about to head off to the bus transit centre, so I grabbed my stuff, checked out and got on the bus to meet the Premier bus.

The journey was tedious and long, but Premier buses are cheaper than Greyhound and show 3rd rate films so it helps to pass the time. We finally arrived in Cairns at 7.30pm and I caught a courtesy bus to the hostel. The fact that it had wireless and I was in a room right near the transmittor helped to confirm to me that this quick move up north was 'meant to be', I am going to try and follow 'the signs' from now on and see where I end up! Nin had delayed her bus drive from Cairns back down to Airlie to pick up her car by a day so we had dinner at the Woolshed and then took a bottle of champagne her ex had left her down to the Cairns lagoon and sat with our feet in the water chatting till it was time to catch her bus. I got back into the hostel around 1am and quietly got into bed without disturbing the room.

photo by: Katie_Kate