Powerhouse

Sydney Travel Blog

After an early night yesterday after a day spent recovering, I got up early this morning to go to the Powerhouse Museum in the city. I was pleased to discover much of the exhibition was given over to Design, and since design is one of my favourite things I spent a happy 3 hours here looking at the displays. Some things I was familar with from much of my design courses, but I really liked a lot of the Australian design, especially Marc Newson, who has relocated to London. Plus also some glass from one of my favourite designers, Chihuly, and the original design for the Sydney Opera House by Jorn Utzen. Plus a porcelain designer Lucy Rie.

The rest of the exhibition was about engineering, and Australian innovation in history, which didn't enthrall me so much, but it was well laid out and well lit, and I learned a lot from their interactive displays about 'computer socks', cochlear implants (my mum has one), how they design cars (make full-size clay models of them!) and Australian advertising.

Strasbourg clock

I also saw a replica of the Strasbourg clock (in Notre Dame) that was made for the Powerhouse Museum and saw a demonstration of how it works. Every hour there is a rotating display of the 12 apostles; all bowing their heads to Jesus except for Peter and Judas who turn their backs and Satan appears at the window. Below that every 15 minutes a new figure is shown to show the 4 ages of man. Below that is an Ororary (?) of the solar system, minus Pluto since that wasn't discovered until 40 years after the clock was made (and obviously minus the other planets that have since been found!) Underneath that is the time to Eastern Mean Time (for Australia) and is never changed for Daylight Saving Hours. Below that are 7 figures of the Heathen Gods representing the days of the week; Apollo, Thor, Mercury, Diana, etc Plus a few others I can't remember, zodiac signs and International Time Zone clocks for 7 international cities.

After the exhibition I made my way back to North Sydney and had coffee with Janin and made plans to meet her tomorrow to do some art.

Lucie Rie porcelain